Jambands.ca

Miles Davis - The Complete On The Corner Sessions - 6 CDs!!

ersh

Wow.

I found this on rapidsahre... here's a link to it.

http://www.regnyouth.com/?p=5344

The six CDs in this set — representing more than six-and-a-half hours of music — pack a real punch. Miles Davis’s profound recordings for Columbia Records during the 1960s and 1970s were rigorously spliced and edited by producer Teo Macero. What sounded seamless and elegant on the original vinyl was actually the result of Macero’s delicate editing of much longer and more discursive pieces. Legacy Records has done a great job bringing out the full recordings of Miles’s seminal Columbia Recordings, often with hours of unreleased materials. The albums were classics, but the full reissues are even better, allowing a listener to stretch out with his favorite music for hours. In the final entry of its Miles series, Legacy tackles Miles’s darkest and most controversial albums — ‘On the Corner’, ‘Big Fun’ and ‘Get Up With It’.

Shortly after Davis recorded these sessions, he dropped out of the musical scene for some time. Maybe that’s why this music is so sinister and powerful. Dismissed at the time of its release in 1972 by some jazzheads as mindless fusion noodling, ‘On the Corner’ strove to introduce a new form of music. Miles combined the rhythm of James Brown with the open song structures of Karlheinz Stockhausen. There was lots of electronic noise, wah-wah trumpet and loud guitars. Miles even forsakes the trumpet on occasion to play keyboards.

Always pushed by a forceful rhythm, the tracks on ‘On The Corner’ sound unlike anything one will hear today, and it is one of Miles’s most influential albums. It is often credited for inspiring so-called post-rock music. But to look at ‘On the Corner’ simply as the music that inspired Tortoise doesn’t do it justice. It deserves attention today because more than 30 years ago Miles tried (and succeeded) to create a new form of music — something that has rarely been accomplished during the intervening years.

• 2 weeks later...

My attorney has asked me to update my previous post and inform you all that the drugs I'm on are caffeine and aspirin...

I'VE BEEN LISTENING TO THIS SET FOR THE LAST THREE DAYS STRAIGHT!!!...It's both entertaining and humbling at the same time...I wish I could afford to actually purchase the discs since the packaging is so wicked...

Oh well...

It's not like Miles needs the royalty cheque where he is...