Jambands.ca

Gov't Folks in Ottawa, RPL? (non-mule content)

Blane

Any of you familiar with the Recruitment of Policy Leaders program in Ottawa? I just found out I'm interviewing with them next week and am trying to figure out some strategies for prepping for it. It's tough because you're not considered for any particular department, just as a policy analyst for the gov't, so I don't even know which part of Canadian policy I should be boning up on.

Any feedback MUCH appreciated!

Edited by Guest

Actually brad, that's the other issue. can you just tell them you think canadian policy currently sucks on X issue or are they trying to assess how well you fit the govt's current policy mould? 'Cause if that's the case adn they ask me any environment or foreign affairs questions, I'm screwed.

Actually brad, that's the other issue. can you just tell them you think canadian policy currently sucks on X issue or are they trying to assess how well you fit the govt's current policy mould? 'Cause if that's the case adn they ask me any environment or foreign affairs questions, I'm screwed.

Kiss plenty of ass and you'll go far in government.

isnt that a training program? so, they would be interviewing you for your general suitability for it, not for your expertise in any one policy domain. but, presumably, your graduate degree or law degree would aim you in a specific direction. what's your degree in?

It's not really a training prog., more like a speed-dating service between recruits and different departments and services to try to fasttrack you into a middle-to-senior policy analyst position. Problem is my background is basically in international development, education, adn the environment, which means I don't really know which to expect. THey don't specify at all.

I'm most worried about how to present myself to these people. Independant, leader-type with a clear sense of how policy ought to be set, or a team player, who is aware of the current policy climate and able to interpret new trends in light of this climate. Know what I mean?

i sense your best bet it to present yourself as someone with a solid skills set that is easily transferable to a number of policy domains. they may ask your preference, in which case, you can tell them. i dont think they are looking for someone who comes across as knowing what the policy should be. i work in a health policy institute and know that there is no single mindset in any policy, and that often there is great disagreement, both between and within stakeholders. the more you come across as flexible and aware of what constitutes a good policy development process, the better, I sense. the more you come across as knowing what the policy should be, the worse, i sense. but I dont know anything about this program.

Here is some dialog to practice with:

Interviewer: So, what happens when you're wrong?
Blane: Well,�
I'm never wrong.
Interviewer: But you can't always be right.
Blane:
Well, if it's your job to be right, then you're never wrong.
Interviewer:
But what if you are wrong?
Blane: Okay, let's say that you're defending
chocolate and I'm defending vanilla. Now, if I were to say to you, "Vanilla's the
best flavor ice cream", you'd say …?
Interviewer: "No, chocolate is."
Blane:
Exactly. But you can't win that argument. So, I'll ask you: So you think chocolate
is the end-all and be-all of ice cream, do you?
Interviewer: It's the
best ice cream; I wouldn't order any other.
Blane: Oh. So it's all chocolate
for you, is it?
Interviewer: Yes, chocolate is all I need.
Blane:
Well, I need more than chocolate. And for that matter, I need more than vanilla.
I believe that we need freedom and choice when it comes to our ice cream, and that
is the definition of liberty.
Interviewer: But that's not what we're
talking about.
Blane: Ah, but that's what I'm talking about.
Interviewer:
But … you didn't prove that vanilla's the best.
Blane: I didn't have
to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong, I'm right.
Interviewer:
But you still didn't convince me.
Blane: Because I'm not after you. I'm
after them.