Jambands.ca

Mike Richard's contract

dave-O

is insane.

12 years, $69M, $5.75 cap hit per year.

Are we going to look back in 5 years and say "Yeah $5.75 for Mike Richards is an awesome deal now" or "I can't believe there's still 7 years left on this monster contract"?

Remember when we all laughed at Charles Wang for Dipietro's 15 year contract? Turns out he was just ahead of the curve.

Guest Low Roller

The Flyers obviously think they have a key cog in Richards for a championship dynasty. For their sake I hope they are right.

The RDS announce team was saying last night how the Habs should look at long term deals like this one as the evolution of the business, and consider giving them to Higgins and Komisarek who are undoubtedly the future of the Habs.

How many more years are the Isles going to pay for Yashin's bought-out contract again?

This is all about the Oilers making those offer sheets to RFAs Vanek and Penner last summer. I think this one is a good signing because Richards is an awesome talent. But it remains to be seen how these mega-length deals are going to fare.

It appears players are now going to be paid for producing immediatley and their contracts will wind down in salary as their careers wind down.

In the past players were paid mainly for what they had done in the past. Then teams were stuck with large contracts for players who were winding down their careers.

I am super happy for Richards. I can't believe how well he is playing. He is such a great leader and player. Good for him. It was not too long ago that he was playing for the Kitchener Rangers.

I remember watching that series against London when the Knights had, like, the best junior team in the history of existance, and Richards single handedly won a couple of games for Kitchener. It was pretty amazing considering how unbelievable London was at the time.