Jambands.ca

Windows Critical Update

paisley

I'd imagine most of you have heard but people are freaking out about a new virus threat

I got this from my ISP

quote:

EMERGENCY ADVISORY TO ALL MOUNTAIN CABLEVISION

INTERNET CUSTOMERS - September 12, 2003

Mountain Cablevision is alerting all customers using the Microsoft® Windows® operating system to apply the latest patches for their computer to ensure they are not affected by a new vulnerability discovered and released today by Microsoft®.

In the interest of your system security, we are recommending that you update your computer operating system immediately.

Instructions:

Please visit
as soon as possible and apply 'Critical Updates and Service Packs' to your computer system.

- Click on 'Scan for updates'

- Click on 'Review and Install Updates'

- Click on 'Install Now' and follow the directions indicated on the screen.

* You will have to reboot your computer to enable the patch updates.

Yeah, my windows update notification informed me that the update fixes a problem where a hacker could take full control of your PC.

I thought..."I'd like to see him/her try!"

Then, I shivered at the thought and downloaded the update. I did hold off rebooting for a good 4 or 5 minutes...but fear took hold and I rebooted.

What a fabulously uninteresting story Bouche [smile]

Also, people here at work are getting emails from security@microsoft.com telling them to apply the patch that is attached to the email. And of course, it's a virus. And of course, two nitwits applied it. Just warning others not to do so.

I got that email as well to my bouche@jambands.ca account.

I axed myself "How in the hell did microsoft get that email address?" and then I clued in and deleted it.

Hackers use on naivety and impulse clicking big time. I think I stopped opening any attachments that aren't gifs/jpgs or files from me or someone I asked for a file from a couple of years ago.

I won't even touch Flash movies in my inbox, or even MPegs for that matter. I don't trust anything that has to execute.

Archived