Jambands.ca

Jays trading Glaus for Rolen

afro poppa

i like this deal for the jays.

i think they're taking the same risks injury-wise, but when healthy, rolen is the better player overall. glaus may have the power edge, but i think rolen is a better hitter in general, and at least he has decent pop in his bat. also, if eckstein is taking over most everyday shortstop duties, rolen provides better help on the left side and obviously they know each other from st. louis. i think it'll pay dividends in the clubhouse as well, to have eckstein and rolen together.

i think the cards come out of this deal in good shape, too - they needed to divorce la russa and rolen, and they needed to add some power to that line-up. win/win.

I don't know what to think. It seems like a wash. If Rolen can recover from the debilitating injuries hes had the past few years he's more of what the Jays need on the field. We don't need the power as we have Thomas as our clean up, so he'll likely bat fifth (or sixth, depending on Rios). Plus Rolen improves our already stellar defence.

What I don't like is how JP seems to just be going from side to side instead of moving forward with all his deals. This one could even be terrible if Rolen becomes a Hillenbrand type in the locker room or if he only play 60 games or so.

Comparitive stats!!!

SCOTT ROLEN TROY GLAUS

AGE 31 32

SEASONS 12 10

AVERAGE .283 .254

HITS 1,558 1,124

DOUBLES 380 240

HOME RUNS 261 277

RBI 1,012 778

ERRORS 148 163

GOLD GLOVES 7 0

Well, try as I might, I cant seperate the f'n stats.

Edited by Guest
Its not all that revealing anyway. But fack, is it ever slow at work today.

Which is too bad, cuz he had/has a lot of potential. I remember when they got him that he was worried about the turf and it turned out to be really hard on him from the get-go. I noticed him limping up to the plate very early in his Jays career.

Oh well, hopefully Rolen maintains his health.

So as much as Im excited for this season with the pitching staff and all, I cant help but wonder what they're gonna do about their obvious lack of speed. My fear is that they wont do a darn thing.

We need a base stealer dammit!

And I forgot to mention a catcher. Zaun couldnt throw out anyone last year. And he's rapidly declining in skill.

Edited by Guest