Jambands.ca

Spicy Black Bean Soup and Gallo Pinto

Ms Zimmy

Brian, a hostel owner in Costa Rica taught me how to make Gallo Pinto and Black Bean Soup, I thought that I would posted it because it’s fantastic.

You get yourself some black beans (turtle beans)

Cook them in plenty of water (more then suggested)

Strain them and keep the water (it turns black)

Take that water and add some of your beans to it, your fav. spices and veggies (corn, chayote, peppers etc)

Not mine, but black bean soup mmm

With the rest of your beans, make gallo pinto (national dish of costa rica)

Make your fav. rice.

Add rice (I make mine with mushroom stock), beans and garlic, onions (I add peppers too) and fry it up.

In Costa Rica they eat it with everything, for breakfast with their eggs, as a side to chicken and fish.

CR_desyuno.jpg

It’s a great winter recipe that makes many meals. I'm not sure if it's good to freeze, if anyone tries it let me know.

enjoy

Here's a simple black bean soup recipe that I got from one of the Moosewood cookbooks a while back. It's cheap and easy.

2 cans black beans

1 can tomatoes

3-4+ garlic cloves

1 medium onion

olive oil

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon cumin

sun dried tomatoes (optional)

sour cream (optional)

Mince the garlic and onions and sautee with the pepper in the oil for about 5 minutes or until translucent but be careful not to burn.

Add juice from canned tomatoes and cumin and let simmer another 5 minutes. Then add the rest of the tomatoes, chopped, and give it another 10 minutes.

Then add the beans... I usually drain them but you don't have to if you want a more liquidy soup. Cook another 10 minutes or so.

Transfer about half of the soup to a blender and puree. Add the puree back to the pot.

It's pretty much ready to serve at this point, just make sure it's heated well. Add sun dried tomatoes and sour cream to individual servings as desired. I don't bother with the sun dried tomatoes but I think there was an instruction to soak them in water to make them more tender.

Makes a great pairing with homemade pita pizzas!!

that looks like floor tiles- do you eat on the floor Ms. Zimmy?

is that some sort of vegan requirement?

(PS- No offense intended :) )

lol how do you know I'm a vegan?

And yes, I sold my table and chair so I could afford red paint to throw at people.

Actually, that isn't my picture....I took it off the net. (there are eggs on that plate, vegans don't eat eggs!) You would suck on CSI

(PS- No offense intended )

:)

Edited by Guest