Jambands.ca

bean recipes

CatPhish

i love beans. they are very good for you. always store lots of them. I like making chick peas from the dried bean as they come out so perfect but you need a full night to soak them and then you gotta boil them for a long time, but it's always worth it.

you can do almost anything with beans so long as you have various vinegars or citrus to play with. I have no recipes off hand, but I'll be sure to revisit this topic after the snow is cleared.

• 4 weeks later...

These bean burgers are easy to make and freeze really well. I usually double or triple the recipe and freeze 'em for a quick protein fix down the road.

It is also pretty easy to modify the recipe depending on what you've got on hand.

Spicy Black Bean Burgers from How It All Vegan

Ingredients:

1/2 cup flour

1 small onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1 small hot or jalapeno pepper, minced

1 tbsp olive oil

1/2 medium red pepper, diced

2 cups cooked or canned black beans, mashed

1/2 cup corn niblets

1/4 cup bread crumbs

1/4 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp chili powder

2 tbsp parsley, minced (optional)

1. On a small plate, set aside flour for coating. In a medium saucepan, sauté the onion, garlic, oregano, and hot peppers in oil on medium-high heat until the onions are translucent. Add the peppers and sauté another 2 minutes, until pepper is tender. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, mash the black beans with a potato masher or fork. Stir in the vegetables (including the corn), breadcrumbs, cumin, salt, chili powder, and parsley. Mix well. Divide and shape into 6 patties.

3. Lay down each patty in flour, coating each side. Cook on a lightly oiled frying pan on medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes or until browned on both sides.

Makes 6 patties.