Jambands.ca

Ratdog

CyberHippie

..."suspect"??? bullshit. You tell an artist what he can and can't play. What about the Jerry Garcia Band then? suspect?

That Royal Oak show was da bomb!!!!!!!!!

Waving that Canada Pot-leaf flag during the U.S. Blues encoure was bloody glorious!!!

1st and only time ever: BOBBY ON THE KIT!!!!!!!!!!

-

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

[QB] ..."suspect"??? bullshit. You tell an artist what he can and can't play. What about the Jerry Garcia Band then? suspect?

Garcia Band did Bobby tunes????[Confused][Confused]

I would never tell an artist what to play. I will however critique that artist's choices and motives.

O.K. I believe PLQ stands for Phil Lesh Quintet.

Now, for the real scoopege on Ratdog, or perhaps better known as "Crapdog" in many circles. Not sure if anyone's done full on Ratdog tour or not, but I have likely seen these guys more than most, from 1995 to present, so consider that this is an objective opinion. On average, Ratdog are a below average band. The intimate setting is always great, and Rob Wasserman was always a treat when he was with them, however, the ratio of mind blowing to mediocre leaves a bit to be desired. Each show seems to have it's moments, but as a whole, the band tends to flounder quite a bit. Yes, the sax is great, and they do really hit it on occasion, but all in all it would seem that there is a lack of intensity on the part of the younger players in the band.

The other thing is Bobby dropping lyrics. I think the fact that alot of Jerry tunes are being played is a great thing, just like Phil singing Wolfmans Brother is very respectable in a way, but if you're going to do St. Stephen, get it right!!!

All that being said, Ratdog are great and I love them more than any band in the world. It's great to see the dead medium put into a new context, with older tunes(Bobby and Jerry ones) coming into the mix, with some nice saxomophone action to boot.

I have yet to see the new bass player, which will likely prove to be the real test for this band. And, before you go and write these guys off, do yourself a favor and check out the Ratdog "Evening Moods" studio release. This disc is nothing short of AMAZING. The sound quality and performance on this one are second to none, a great showcase of some of the best post dead tunes written thus far and what delivery on the part of the great Bobby Weir!!! There aren't too many has been rock stars that have the kind of life in their voices that this guy does. And the rest, you'll have to read in my soon to be released book "Bobby Fans Are People Too"-the complete Weir companion.

quote:

Originally posted by MarcO:

just wondering if no-one else finds it strange that even outside the "The Other Ones-The Dead-Whatever They're Called" Weir relied so heavily on his deceased partner's catalogue..... Odd then he would feature someone else's material so prominently in his own project. I'm not saying it sounded bad - probably sounded terrific - but it is a bit suspect.

suspect? suspect of what? what are you suggesting here? that Bob feels his songs arent strong enough, and that he NEEDS jerry's songs to get him through a night? Bob must play jerry songs, because he knows if he doesnt the crowd wont respond to his own material, and he wouldnt have a career? he'd be forced out without jerry's aid from the grave, the nostalgia associated with it?

interesting.

why not give the man the benefit of the doubt that he likes to pay tribute to a man he did wonderful things with for almost 30 years? god forbid we show a little appreciation....

Hey steve, i was also at that show when Bobby came out and sat at the drum kit for the encore (i think it was the encore) They played The Wheel during that show and i lost it.

Here's a flashback for ya'll...Ms. Huxtable, i believe i me you at this show with the Dr. You had that canadian pot leaf flag. Anyhoo...

03/01/02 (Fri) Royal Oak Theater - Royal Oak, MI

Set 1: Jam > Help On The Way > Slipknot > Walkin' Blues, Loser, Blackbird, Black Throated Wind, Bombs Away, Lucky Enough, West L.A. Fadeaway, Iko Iko

Set 2: New Speedway Boogie > The Other One > He's Gone > SOLOS > Jam > The Wheel, She Says, Throwing Stones, Franklin's Tower, E: U.S. Blues

Second set is like someone's fantasy set -

there are question marks there. i find it interesting that you find it odd, and you still havent said why you find it odd...i personally dont find it odd at all...i find it odd that its a big deal to play someone elses songs now. tell that to dark star, or caution jam, or maybe someone shoulda told jerry not to sing, because most of the time, the words were robert's.

quote:

Originally posted by Sheikyerbouti:

there are question marks there. i find it interesting that you find it odd, and you still havent said why you find it odd...i personally dont find it odd at all...i find it odd that its a big deal to play someone elses songs now. tell that to dark star, or caution jam, or maybe someone shoulda told jerry not to sing, because most of the time, the words were robert's.

Yeah, but DSO and Caution Jam are basically GD tribute bands. Is Ratdog a GD tribute band, or is it a vehicle for Bobby's own material? He's got enough of it to stand on his own, so why the reliance on Garcia's material? I'm not objecting to the fact that he plays some of Garcia's songs, but it does seem strange that he plays so many every show.

Besides, we already have "The Dead" around as a Grateful Dead tribute band. [Roll Eyes]

And the fact that Hunter wrote 99% of the words to Jerry's songs is irrelevant. Don't confuse the point...

the point never got confused, we're just not looking at the point from the same angle....but i see where you're coming from.

i still dont find it strange, and i still dont know why anyone else does.

i just think that after playing those songs for so long, one might get his own special attachment to them as well. nothing wrong with that at all. i think there's a bit of bob and phil and the rest of the boys in every jerry song. thats why they were the grateful dead. not jerry garcia and a bunch of other guys.

Archived