Jambands.ca

Ratdog

CyberHippie

So I'm listening to my first Ratdog show, 12-31-01.

I have to say I like it quite a bit!

I think I'd much rather listen to a Ratdog show than a Phil show. Having Logic playing around in the background definetly doesn't hurt either.

So what do ya'll think of Ratdog? I don't generally hear too many people talk about them.

----

Ratdog - 12-31-01

1-Jam

2-Feel Like a Stranger

3-Easy Answers

4-Youngblood

5-Odessa

6-Bury Me Standing

7-Scarlet Begonias

8-Aiko Aiko

9-Dear Prudence

10-Drums and Bass

11-Two Djinn

12-Touch of Grey

best topic ever.

Well...this is gonna be a real shocker...but I fucking love them!!!!

They have a small following, and I love seeing a show in a 1500-seat gothic theatre - some of the places they play are really amazing. I've always had a KILLER time at Doggy shows - being tweaked to the tits at some General Admission show and puffing a doob 10 feet from Weir as he sings "Hell in a Bucket", well, for this cat, it don't get any better...!! [big Grin][big Grin]

Musically the band has come along way, and changed quite a bit since they started in '95, I love hearing sax, and Kenny Brooks is an amazing player - great energy, Mark Karan (lead guitar) has improved leaps and bounds since '98, and drummer Jay Lane (formerly of Primus) can lay down some sweet stuff...Jeff Chimenti on keys, well, if you've seen The Dead, you know he can play!

I guess I like that they have a little more of a jazzy approach to things, and being a Weir fan, getting to hear some of his classic solo stuff from over the years is a treat(Shade of Grey, This Time Forever, Easy to Slip, Bomb's Away, Wrong Way Feeling) and tunes from Ratdog's studio album "Evening Moods" released a couple years back, which is excellent. But as with EVERY jamband, there are bound to be good and bad nights...

So, while some will write them off as they do anything Weir, with the usual cliche's "vegas" "cheese", Weir's out there givin'er, probably one of the few millionaire musicians who still hits the road and plays bars and small theatres....bottom line, he does it b'cause he loves it, and it shows in the music.

Hey, I'll offer up 3 copies of this show, I have a sweet soundboard of it, just post if you want it, if you haven't heard much Doggie, this is a good one....

Ratdog

9/29/2001 (Sat.)

Palladium, Worcester, MA

I: Jam > Picasso Moon > Bird Song > Little Red Rooster > Bird Song Jam > Blackbird@4, El Paso@4> Corrina@4>6 > Bury Me Standing > Scarlet Begonias

II: Maggie's Farm > Eyes of the World > He's Gone > OtherOne-BirdSong-LoveSupreme Jam* > Bass/Drums > Standing on the Moon > Bird Song > Sugar Magnolia > One More Saturday Night

E: Brokedown Palace

*-Bob chants "love supreme" during jam; +-No "Sunshine Daydream"; First "Standing on the Moon"; "Love Supreme" tease during "Bird Song"

*includes interview with Weir.

(please note Booche, this post contained no comparisons to the PLQ)

(please note Booche, this post contained no comparisons to the PLQ)

I must have refreshed this page 20 times, waiting to see some form of one. I fully expected another brawl.

Maybe Weir growing up?

[Razz]

as for

"7.17 or 18ish.2001"

I think it was the 18th, cause we saw them at Pine Knob on the 17th opening for the PLQ, and that was BY FAR the best I have ever seen Ratdog. I have had some hit and miss experiences with them, but I am sure I will see a gig with Hux by my side.

Here's hoping for a Sailor>Saint!

I can't help but hear Bruce Springstein's "Glory Days" while thinking of Weir still givin'er for small crowds.

"Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture

a little of the glory of, well time slips away

and leaves you with nothing mister but

boring stories of glory days

Glory days well they'll pass you by

Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye

Glory days, glory days"

I think it depends to which era of Ratdog we’re referring….I’ve seen them more than once and a couple of times, they rocked out and I full enjoyed it…other times, it was just sad.

Same can be said for PLQ….when I saw them at the Amp in 2000, while I had a great time, the performance left a lot to be desired (in my mind). But they were pure magic at the Vibes last year.

Alright, a copy of Ratdog 9.29.01 to CyberHippie and mister slippery, can you guys email me your addresses at geoff@drhuxtable.com

....1 more copy of the show available!!

"..but I am sure I will see a gig with Hux by my side." - it'll happen bro - it'll happen!

(PLQ = Phil Lesh Quintet = Phil Lesh and Friends)

I'd love a copy of that show. I saw Ratdog once, 8.21.01 in Cleveland, OH and it was pretty wicked.

Here is the setlist. It was part of the 'so many roads' tour.

Ratdog

08/21/01 (Tue) Nautica Stage - Cleveland, OH

Set 1: Jack Straw > Bird Song, Odessa, Blackbird, Artificial Flowers, Mission in the Rain, Easy to Slip, Jam > All Along the Watchtower* > Bird Song > Bass/Drums > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away, E: Johnny B. Goode

Comment: * with Karl Denson.

Other Artist(s): Openers: Rusted Root, Karl Denson's Tiny Universe and Keller Williams

Along w/that, as we excited the venue, we were greeted by about 75 DEA chasing everyone. I hightailed it and got away, but fights broke out and it was bad vibes all around. The show was good though.

Have to say that I am a PLQ fan...The later stuff, when the band was solidified with Herring, Haynes, Molo, Barraco and Lesh. That was one hell of a group. Truth be told, I am a HUGE Bobby fan. One of my favorite musicians of all time. He just makes me smile and laugh. However, if i had to choose, Id go with PLQ. Cheers!

allz i can say is the Royal Oak Michigan show i saw, Ratdog played with more heart and energy than i've ever seen ANY band play in a theatre.

i saw phil in Shae's, it was nothing even close.

Bobby shines through. Even the OTher Ones i've seen RD play are more powerful than the PLQ versions with Phil at the Helm. Hows is that possible?

WEll, their old bassist. Some didn't like the standup bass, i thought it made the band. Same with the sax. That guy rocks so hard...

I've seen RD four times i think, and only one was boring....but boy was it boring...

oh, and at the Alpine Reunion, there was actually PLQ fans raving about Bobby....Ratdog killed the reunion....It was amazing....

Bobby was on fire...

Bobby on drums anyone? Hux knows what i'm saying!!!

"The later stuff, when the band was solidified with Herring, Haynes, Molo, Barraco and Lesh"

And, I think that is to whom people refer when they say the PLQ.

Phil and Friends is the bulk of every other lineup he used.

All this talk is making me want to hit the Beacon, badly!

40 Main should host a Royale Rumble between PLQ fans and Ratdog fans.

ya, that was it...

that Other One was so freaking strong, i musta been right beside Hux, cause i was right below bobby as well...

Watching the baton strike the bass with the force to make that little Theatre rumble, ahhh....those are the things dreams are made of...

Anyways, I like Ratdog, and wish they would come to one of Toronto's beautiful theatre's.

bah, i'd rather smoke a bowl, in fact, that is what i'm going to do.

then i'm going to listen to my phat crispy LP soundboards, while staring at your burnt crispy shows...

then, then, THEN, i'll forget what i was supposed to do, so call me...

Oh, and that was still the best theatre show i've ever seen, no matter what was played...

hey dude - no problem, I'm not saying the ratio of tunes negates your positive experience, just wondering if no-one else finds it strange that even outside the "The Other Ones-The Dead-Whatever They're Called" Weir relied so heavily on his deceased partner's catalogue. Sure they played together for 30 years but they rarely wrote together and Bobby certainly had his own repertoire to balance out Garcia's. The Bobby tune/Jerry tune/Bobby tune/Jerry tune format ran for years and years rather nicely. Odd then he would feature someone else's material so prominently in his own project. I'm not saying it sounded bad - probably sounded terrific - but it is a bit suspect.

Archived