Jambands.ca

beef tenderloin

jaybone

I have the in-laws coming for dinner. I bought a 3.5lb beef tenderloin (the whole loin) and I'm having trouble deciding what to do with it.

Should I steak it and do bacon wrapped filets?

Or leave it whole, sear it off to get a crust and then rub it down with some grain mustard and herbs and then roast it?

Maybe grill it on in-direct heat on the Q? or smoke it?

I'm definately going to prepare either steak tartare or carpacio as an apptzr.

Suggestions are welcome.

hahah

tartare is a good call. but I think the roast is a good way. wait, am I too late to kick in an opinion? You could not only roast it, but also stuff it and THEN roast it.

I hope you took pix. I have been taking picks of nearly everything that I have been cooking lately.

I didn't take pics but it turned out amazing! I ended up searing the beef and then rubbing it down with a mix of grainy dijon and herbs and then threw on a few slices of bacon.

I served it with caeser salad, bruchetta and braised chick peas.

Yummy! There is a ton left-over, so I'm having a sammy for lunch.

• 1 month later...

The braised chick peas is a recipe I stole from the show "The Maine". Dice up some bacon- about 6-10 slices, and cook it up. Drain some of the fat but leave a fair bit. Add some shallots, a little garlic, s&p. Throw in a couple can of drained chick peas (I usually don't completely drain them b/c the liquid makes for a good braising agent. Add some white wine, and chicken stock. I usually just throw in and oxy cube and water. Cook it down until the sauce is thick. Hit it with fresh herbs- thyme basil, whatever, finish it with olive oil and serve it up. It goes great with everything- beef, chicken , fish. It's pretty simple and my wife loves it. Hope you do to.