Jambands.ca

Do you put your resumes on line?

Hal Johnson

How safe do you think these things are? Ive been doing some job searching and it seems everywhere I go Im asked for my resume and all that crap...but It really makes me wonder; who am I giving all this personal info to?

The reason I ask is that I tried to send my resume through a link offered in an email and it kept getting returned. I looked up the company and it said theres no positions availible.

So now Im stuck.

Is it safe at all? What should I be looking for? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Edit to add: Im talking more about those job sites that keep databases of resumes, like monster.ca, but not that one in particular.

Edited by Guest

I certainly don't. Doesn't seem secure enough to me. A few possible options though:

-host it at an unlinked address (ie. you tell them the address but it's not posted anywhere on the web).

-if you're going to have it online convert it to pdf with maximum restrictions on the file (no copy, edit, print, etc. permissions) to limit what people can do to the file.

However, imagine 3-4 years from now if there are still old versions of your cv floating around online. It could actually work against you. I'm already amazed at how much info about me is available online, so I'm trying not to add to that if possible.

I think if you are looking for a job, you have to go for it. Post your resume on Monster etc. You are trying to advertise yourself so don't hold back. Don't put your really personal stuff like SIN # or D.O.B. but everything else is fair game.

I've been looking but I am currently employed so I am worried that my current employer will find out about my job search.

I will submit my resume via a form on a potential employer's website or send it to them via email but not allow it to actually be hosted on the internet anywhere just in case some old copies come back sometime later (remember, sites like google often cache everything they can...)

On those lines, if you are making a resume and you make it in Word 2007 be careful. If the resume is exactly 1 page and just adding a line will break it into two pages, there's a good chance that if it is opened in Word 2003 it will end up on 2 pages (you can save a document in 2007 as a 2003 file). The reason is the default fonts in 2007 are not in 2003 so if they are not on the computer, it will set them to the 2003 defaults which are bigger. I had the problem. I sent out some resumes but was already in the interview process with a company. During one of the interviews I noticed that my resume was 2 pages, the contact info on one and the rest on the other page (I used tables). Of course when the people I sent the resumes to saw that I couldn't even use Word, they obviously wouldn't hire me for a programming position. Funny thing is that I know word quite well but my computers have all the necessary fonts so I didn't notice the problem in Word 2003 (what most people had).

That is all.

Deep down type stuff, C/C++, linux kernel modifications, embedded C on microcontrollers, etc, etc. I have yet to learn C# or anything .NET though I could easily be Java certified if I had the cash to take the test.

Thanks for mentioning it, though. I just got a job with PIKA Technologies where I get to play with a linux kernel on a nice motorolla chip, woo hooo, I'm a nerd but it's OK.