Jambands.ca

cool diapers (parent content)

mattm

Have a little monster or two running around the house? Paying lots for diapers and worried about environmental impact? Check these out:

gDiapers

Biodegradable, woo hoo, you can even compost them. We saw them at the environmental fair thing a couple months ago (maybe more than a couple, it was a while back) and have seen them at stores as well.

Watch them break down (movie):

break-down movie

Not all that expensive either. $30 for the starter kit (one pair of the pants and 10 refills) and then $20 for 32 refills (prices are rounded up a couple dollars).

Just thought I'd mention it as I know there are a couple people on here with little ones (or with little ones coming soon, congrats forbin and mellie)

A little more evironmental are just going with cloth diapers. Essentially exactly the same as the gDiaper... you can get the colourful covers, except you use a cotton diaper inside.

I was pretty skeptical when my wife wanted to use them with our daughter. But they have worked out great. They save you a fortune in disposable diapers, as well the environmental impact is far less. It probably adds 1 extra load of laundry each week of covers and diapers. Far healthier for your children as well- lots of chemicals in a disposable, and far less likely to have problems with diaper rash.

The only somewhat unpleasant part is well.... the crap... cloth,gdiaper, or disposable- there is no getting away from it

We just celebrated being diaper-free in our house!!!! Next one in them will be me ;)

Disposables for us all the way. Not that "green" but when dealing with that much "brown" holy fuck it's convenient :P

btw - those "diaper genies" that make disposable diaper sausage links do not contain all the SMELL. Shit stinks, plain and simple (and in the hot summer days it's the worst).

We've been using cloth for a while. You can get a paper liner for them that makes it no worse than disposables as far as dealing with the mess. That being said Jackson doesn't like to poo in them, he just let's us know when it's time and he goes then. It's a little gross but a lot less messy. Should make potty training go easier. I just wish the new puppy would be as considerate as Jackson

Little Trey drinks his milk out of organic bottles (boobs) and water out of sippy or regular cups but I think glass bottles are the way to go. The only problem with them is that if they are like anything else, at least with Trey, they will be dropped all the time as that is his favorite past-time which means potential broken glass...

Is it all guys posting in here? wow

Breast feeding is great if the mother can do it. Not everyone can, and there can be other complications too. It sucks when so much written about the topic with the impression that you are damaging your child by not being able/choosing to breast feed them. Can really do a number on parents' morale and not a good thing when a new mother could be dealing with depression, etc.

Yup. I think I was mostly bottle fed. We're lucky in that little Trey loves the boobs and had no problem with the latch.

We actually tried bottles once so that I could have a hand in feeding him but he doesn't like them and would have none of it. He'd rather get the milk from a spoon which has worked when we're gone and someone else has to feed him or if Steph goes out, etc...

The new rave is Klean Kanteen stainless steal bottles, with the attachment sippy spout for when your baby is a bit older, I see tons of moms with these. As for bottles, if you don't want to do glass or regular plastic there is the Born Free brand which has a wide variety of bottles all BPA free. We have the sippy cup and Trey loves it and learned super fast how to suck out of it with not having any luck with regular bottles and only being used to the breast.

We're pretty lucky in this day and age to have all the options we do for our babies although it can be very overwhelming at times.

Ive always been under the infulance that Breat feeding is the way to do it, I dont think using bottles or stuff is the right way to do it till there a bit older

Easier said than done, he just didn't get any nourishment from me :o

btw - those "diaper genies" that make disposable diaper sausage links do not contain all the SMELL. Shit stinks, plain and simple (and in the hot summer days it's the worst).

Totally agreed. It does not work AT ALL!!! I had to laugh when I read that because it is so true. Expecting parents DO NOT BUY. Im pretty sure it was a baby shower gift for my wife a few years back, we ended up selling it on kijiji for like 5 or 10 bucks just recently.