Jambands.ca

pumpkin ravioli with sage butter

bouche

That's some good looking ravioli. We get a weekly CSA box too and also got some sage this week. We used some this morning when we had Turkish poached eggs with yogurt and spicy sage butter.

I was planning on making ravioli tonight, but my wife and I went shopping this afternoon and bought a potato ricer, which we've wanted for awhile, and we got some potatoes in our CSA box so we're making gnocchi with pancetta and sage instead.

Gnocchi:

2 1/4lbs floury potatoes, baked for an hour then peeled and riced

2 egg yolks, beaten and mixed with

2 tbsp grated parmesan, then mixed with the potato

1 1/2 cups flour, kneaded into potato to form a soft dough

Roll out the dough and cut into gnocchi. Boil in water for a few minutes until cooked.

Sauce:

1 tbsp butter, melt in frying pan and add

1/2 cup pancetta, cook and then add about

8 sage leaves shredded and

2/3 cup cream, reduce to form a sauce with salt and pepper to taste

Toss the gnocchi and sauce in a casserole dish. Top with 1/2 cup grated parmesan and bake at 400F for 10-15 min. Eat.

Last night's gnocchi turned out great, though next time we'll add a little more sage and pancetta. It made enough gnocchi to freeze some. We had it with balsamic roasted shallots and steamed broccoli, and made rhubarb grunt for dessert.

Gnocchi%20018.JPG

I'm going to make the ravioli tonight. We've got some swiss chard from the CSA box and a little leftover ricotta from a pie I made last week, so I'm thinking of something like this or this.

The ricer we bought has three interchangeable plates with different sized holes. We used the smallest one to make the gnocchi. The advantage is that it has very small holes and produces a very light, fluffy and consistent potato mixture, smoother than mashed potatoes, but not as gluey as whipped potatoes. It's also easy and a time-saver. It'll make spaetzle noodles using the largest plate, which is what we'll try with it next, and it's meant to be great for making baby-food too.

My ravioli turned out pretty good considering it was my first time making it. I adapted a few recipes to use up some leftover ricotta, Swiss chard, spinach, parsley and basil that was in our fridge.

014.JPG

Pasta:

1 1/2 cups flour

2 eggs

Mix into a dough and knead until smooth. Let rest for 20min then roll out with pasta maker.

Filling:

1/4lb Swiss chard and

1/4lb spinach, steam the greens until wilted then drain and chop.

1 small onion diced and

1 clove garlic minced, fry in oil until soft then add chopped greens and

1/2 lemon's juice, cook a few minutes until liquid evaporates then transfer to a bowl and add

1/2 cup ricotta,

1/4 cup grated parmesan,

1/2 a lemon's grated rind,

1.5 tbsp chopped basil,

1.5 tbsp chopped parsley,

a little salt and lots of pepper

Sauce:

2 bulbs garlic, tops cut off then drizzled with olive oil, wrapped in foil and roasted at 400F for 45min.

4 tomatoes, cut in half and placed cut side down on foil lined baking sheet, roasted 15min.

Skin the garlic and tomatoes once cooked and then puree and add

1 tbsp red wine vinegar and

1/2 tbsp honey

Assemble ravioli using egg white to seal. Boil for 3-4min, top with sauce and more parmesan and parsley.

018.JPG