Jambands.ca

News from the North

Patchoulia

And this is why I love my hometown media...

Strange Creature Found in Northwestern Ontario

Big Trout Lake First Nation is getting a lot of attention, on the Internet.

Reports from the remote Northern community say a strange creature was pulled from a local creek earlier this month, a creature some are calling a monster.

Photos of the furry, bald-faced something were posted on the official website of the Big Trout Lake community and have since caused a flurry of speculation on the Internet.

According to the website, two local nurses were hiking near the creek when they noticed their dog sniffing something in the water.

The dog pulled the 30-centimetre-long dead creature from the water and the two women snapped some photos of it.

While some think it may be kin to Ogopogo or the Loch Ness Monster, others say it looks like a water-logged bear cub or otter.

--------------------

This was actually covered in the Globe...and it has pictures...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario/big-trout-lake-monster-sparks-internet-debate/article1576748/

creature3_657643a.jpg

creature2_657644a.jpg

• 2 months later...

In the spirit of Schwa's Chatham pride, I thought I'd bump this gem...

Man Caught Hiding in Washroom

Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 am 11:02:14 AM

A man caught hiding in a bar washroom has been arrested.

Dryden Police attended the establishment on the weekend after receiving information that he had assaulted and threatened several people at a house party outside Dryden.

The accused has been handed over to OPP for investigation.

Oooooh...such crime!!

Teen Mischief

Dryden Police are charging a 15 year old for a number of offenses.

Wednesday evening Officers were called to a home on Third Street where a vehicle had been damaged.

The owner said he was sitting in the car when the teen came and kicked the hood then fled.

After a search of the area, police located the teen.

He was held overnight because of violent behaviour.

He is charged with mischief under five thousand dollars, assaulting police, assault, and uttering death threats.

He will appear in court August 9th.

Coming from Sault Ste. Marie, I can completely relate. From the Sault This Week "Police Beat" column...

Such delinquency!!!

Female arrested for theft under $ 5,000

Yesterday afternoon members of the Sault Ste Marie Police Service arrested a 20-year-old female for theft under $ 5,000. It is alleged that the accused entered the Zellers Store, in the Station mal and stole a package of sunscreen. Accused was apprehended by store security and turned over to the city police. It is further alleged that at the time of this offence the accused was on a recognizance release order with conditions to keep the peace and be good and to notify the Sault Ste Marie Police Service of any address change of address. Sasha Daigle, age 20, of 277 Northern Ave Ap. # 309 is charged with one count of theft under $ 5,000 and two counts of breach of a recognizance. She will be appearing in court on Aug30th at 9:00 am.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...

New Boss at Lakehead University

The new boss has arrived in Thunder Bay.

Brian Stevenson is beginning his job as the new President of Lakehead University.

Stevenson says 1 of his 5 major goals is to improve connections between LU and the community.

He adds another goal is to promote the campus in Orillia.

Another item on the agenda is deciding whether to bring wireless internet to the institution.

Stevenson says he will be looking for community input on that issue.

Classic Dryden...

Smell of Paint Thinner Leads to Arrest

by Mike Ebbeling on Thursday, August 12th, 2010 am 10:20:01 AM

A 42-year-old woman has been charged with resisting arrest after Dryden Police were called to a local Hotel Wednesday morning.

Officers received a report of a strong odour of paint thinner emanating from a room.

Police arrested 2-drunk individuals for their own protection.

However, one of the accused, Theresa Hudson became resistant, throwing herself on the ground to avoid arrest and swearing at the officers.

• 1 month later...

Aggressive Bear Put-Down

Monday, September 20th, 2010 pm 1:35:49 PM

A stubborn bear had to be put-down after charging a man in Balmertown.

OPP say the incident happened last Saturday.

Police say the man was in the business section of town when he was charged at by the bruin.

The man was not injured.

The bear then fled to the backyard of a Fourth Street home.

OPP tried to scare the bear away but it failed to move.

Police were forced to shoot the bruin as a last resort.

From the Cruiser

There were 168 reports made to RCMP in Kings county between Sept 23 and Sept 27

These are my favorites:

"A report of a suspicious person in Berwick was actually a construction worker watching concrete curbing dry."

"A home in Wolfville was broken into. Cheques, a USB drive and three cans of pop were taken."

"A mother left a 5 month old baby for three hours with a friend working at the mall in New Minas."

I wish I knew more about that last one, but that's all they have to say about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dryden Motorists Can Soon Rejoyce!

Posted by Mike Ebbeling on Wednesday, October 6th, 2010 am 11:56:00 AM

The day's of sitting in gridlock at the Dryden Underpass are almost over.

Manager of Capital Planning and Technology Blake Poole says the Duke Street Overpass is set to open on-schedule next Friday. (October 15th)

Poole says some paving and sandblasting remains.

After that, Poole says the contractor will be in clean-up mode.

Poole says the project has run smoothly.

--------------------

That's some exceptional journalism...

1. Rejoyce?? Is that like someone named Joyce, who arrives a 2nd time?

2. 'Day's' - Oh dear.

3. I love the reference to 'gridlock' - the alternate route to the blocked underpass to which they're referring would be the overpass - which is approximately 5 minutes down the road.

tn_CDSA22092010.jpg

Dryden Police stop a vehicle at King Street and Earl Avenue.

Officers searched the vehicle and found 120-grams of magic mushrooms and 6.5-pounds of marijuana worth an estimated $60,000.

Two B.C. residents were charged.

----------------

Just look at that guy's face! He's soooo partaking in that haul as soon as he gets off duty...