Jambands.ca

News from the North

Patchoulia

As you may know, I grew up in Northwestern Ontario (Dryden, to be exact).

I periodically check the local radio station's website. I check the obits (as maudlin as that sounds) and I like to see what's new in the region.

Inevitably, there is a news story posted that makes me laugh out loud...often relating to moose or bears within town limits or some other scandalous wildlife run amok tale...

The story that made me giggle today:

Odd Place to Have a Bite To Eat and a Drink

Thunder Bay OPP have had their hands full dealing with people who just don't seem to think through their actions.

After searching the pockets of a highly intoxicated man found lying in the middle of a highway, officers found a half-empty bottle of liquor in one pocket.

In the other, a hunk of raw meat.

It's not known why the man was carrying the meat but he could have easily become road kill in so many ways.

It turns out the man was wanted in Bracebridge and has been returned to the south.

• 4 weeks later...

Different Way to Fill Up

It appears some are turning to alternative measures to fight the high price of gas.

Dryden Police say charges are pending after officers were called to a local parking lot with regard to the theft of gas from a vehicle.

Police say a Dryden man was seen siphoning gasoline from a vehicle and when he was confronted by the owner, the man left the area.

Police are still investigating.

• 4 months later...

Bait seized at Customs

Three Americans have been fined for bringing live bait into Ontario through the Canada Customs Entry station on Sand Point Lake in the Rainy River District.

72-year-old William Timpe was fined 880-dollars for bringing 5-pounds of leeches for use as bait on July 11th of last year.

48-year-old Brenda Lea Goneau and 66-year-old Robert James Langtry were both fined 615 dollars for bringing leeches and minnows into the province as well.

In all cases, the live bait was seized and later turned over to a conservation officer.

• 1 year later...

If you're driving drunk in a stolen car, it might not be a good idea to yell obscenities at a passing cop.

But police in Newfoundland and Labrador say a 47-year-old Deer Lake man did just that, prompting a passing RCMP officer to spin around and find out what all the commotion was about.

Police told the St. John's Telegraph newspaper the man was pulled over on the shoulder of a road Thursday when he leaned his head out of the open window to hurl insults at the officer driving by.

The man was charged with theft of an automobile, two counts of impaired driving, three counts of breaching probation and three counts of breaching a recognizance.

The man was also charged under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.

Ah ha, I was wondering if this thread would pop up again! I have much to add to his, as they have "tales from the cruiser," in a weekly newspaper out here. It's a full page of snippets, like, "Drunk women arrested in Berwick at 11:30 am tuesday morning. She was returned home to her husband," or ,"4 cows found wandering highway 101 at 3 am friday night," or "Number of pallets stolen from Fulton's Lumber, later on illegal pit fire reported where large number of palletts were being burned."

The articles aren't available online, so I'll have to wait for the next paper to give you guys some word-for-word stories.

Perfect Timing for OPP Officer in Kenora

Talk about perfect timing!

During routine patrol last night, a Kenora OPP officer noticed an altercation between a store employee and another person.

The officer approached the store and discovered that the man was holding a knife in the midst of a robbery.

The robbery was thwarted and OPP say 39-year-old Steve Jackson was arrested.

Jackson faces counts of robbery, wearing a disguise with the intent to commit a criminal offence and possession of narcotics.

---------------------------

I had no idea "wearing a disguise with the intent to commit a crime" was a crime in and of itself.

Big news!

Fire Out at Ignace Dump Site

by Mike Ebbeling on Monday, May 17th

A fire at the Ignace waste disposal site is out.

The blaze ignited on April 21st and continued to smoulder until this weekend.

The Ministry of National Resources and Ministry of Environment worked with Town Fire Fighters to ensure the fire was completely out.

Mayor Lionel Cloutier says the Town had to bring in heavy machinery to dig up the dump site.

"Get it On!"

Before you head out on the water, "Get it On".

The Ontario Provincial Police and the Ministry of Natural Resources are behind a new campaign geared at fisherman who don't wear life jackets.

Outdoor Writer Gord Ellis says there's no excuse for not putting on a personal flotation device.

Last year, 2-people in Northwestern Ontario drowned in area lakes.