Jambands.ca

Un-repealable laws?

bradm

I caught most of the debate between the candidates in my riding (Ottawa-West-Nepean; John Baird [CPC] is our current MP), and I thought I heard one of the candidates (it might have been the Green one) say something about their platform including putting into place laws that couldn't be undone (or repealed) by later governments. Has anyone seen anything like this from any of the parties? I'm mostly trying to figure out if I correctly remember what I heard, as I'm not sure. (The Green Party's platform document is 160 pages long, so I'd rather not have to hunt through it if possible.)

Aloha,

Brad

as far as i know the only "law" that is un-repealable is the constitution ... and even that can theoretically be changed, albeit with great difficulty. maybe im naive but ive always thot that all laws can be modified by legislatures and/or struck down by courts.

Well, that's what I thought (and I shudder at the possibility of a government being able to pass a law that couldn't be repealed by a subsequent government), which is why I'm trying to find out if what I (think I) heard is actually in a party's platform.

The schedule for Rogers Ottawa's candidates' debates is at

http://www.rogerstv.com/get.asp?lid=16&rid=4&tid=25519&ttl=6&arid=4

and it looks like my riding's debate will be re-aired on Monday, so I'll try to stay up and catch it all.

Aloha,

Brad

as far as i know the only "law" that is un-repealable is the constitution ... and even that can theoretically be changed' date=' albeit with great difficulty. maybe im naive but ive always thot that all laws can be modified by legislatures and/or struck down by courts. [/quote']

Well, that's what I thought (and I shudder at the possibility of a government being able to pass a law that couldn't be repealed by a subsequent government)...

Aloha,

Brad

I too shudder. Laws have to be able to change with society or the times.

i don't know if there is a mechanism that would make a law un-repealable, but there are certainly many laws that i would have no problem making that way. even though i do agree with all the philosophical positions posted here about laws not changing etc...

The only laws I would potentially feel ok about making un-repealable are those concerning their environment... but then on the other hand, what we know about the environment is subject to how far science has taken us.

I agree with AD... i don't think it's really even possible to do this and i too agree with all the philosophical psitions against it.

The only laws I would potentially feel ok about making un-repealable are those concerning their environment...

i was thinking more along the lines of murder, rape, assault, etc.... but i guess people are kind of doing that to the environment too. :)

well maybe i'm not all that familiar with how the Code works. Is it, all in one, "the law"? or is the Code made up of many many laws? know what i mean?

if there is a law against murder, and another law against rape, i can't see what government down the line would want / need to repeal that, and i'd have no issue with that.

but at the same time i think no law should be un-repealable.

what a twisted question bradm asked. :)