Jambands.ca

Ottawa Cooking Demonstratons and Classes

Ms.Huxtable

I was the lucky recipient of a gift certificate to Urban Element (thanks Bouchards!). I thought I'd share the Class Schedule with you all. Some good suff in here.

I suspect this would be a good gift for any food lover.

Also, bouche found the Ottawa Chinese Cooking Studio. which also looks really fun and less expensive.

Now.... which class do I pick at Urban Element? It's SO HARD!

• 5 months later...

Wowee Wow Wow!

Last night I finally got to go to the Urban Element and it exceeded my expectations in every way.

The theme of the night was Raw Cooking. It focused on raw protiens and their accompanying salsas and salads. The Chef was Scott Adams from benny's Bistro and we learned a lot.

It was a hands on class so the students (10 of us) made the meal under his supervision and it was truly a dream meal for anyone who loves their meat raw.

Menu:

Amuse Bouche - Sashimi of Halibut

Starter - Bay Scallop Civiche with an avacodo salsa (Made by my husband and DAMN it was amazing).

2nd Plate - Albacore Tuna Carpaccio with a rhubarb and honey topping (I got to make the topping).

Main - Trio of Tar Tar.

Bison tartar with quail egg yolk served with a raw ribboned butternut squash salad with a truffle dressing (I got to make this dish).

Duck Tartar with goat cheese served with a raw beet and peashoot salad.

Lamb tartar served Thai style with a green papaya salad.

Dessert - Melon and cucumber gaspacho with marscapone cheese.

They paired it with wine and it was simply delicious.

My best take aways from the evening were learning that it's not so scary purchasing meat and fish to eat raw. You don't need to use only the finest cuts, flank works great.

And I also learned a really cool way of preparing the quail egg (which works for any kind of egg). Separate the yolks from the whites. Put the yolks into a shallow baking pan.

In a food processor mix a cup of salt, a clove of garlic and a sprig or two a fresh rosemary.

Cover the yolks carefully with the salt and let them sit for 15 minutes.

Slowly add cold water to the corner of the pan until the salt starts to disolve. The yolks will form a very fine, almost invisable, protective coat so you can then lift them out of the water and place them onto the tartar with ease and they will saty in tact until the diner breaks it open.

So cool.

bouche has pictures I think. Hopefully they'll be posted (nudge, nudge).

I highly recommend this experience for anyone who loves food. Great gift idea.

• 2 weeks later...