Jambands.ca

Guitar heads -> Pickups on my guitar wonkiness

bouche

My strat seems to be losing pickup randomly. I've tried different cables and shit, so it's got to be from my guitar. Wiggling the plug doesn't seem to help, but if I give the guitar a good wack on the face, it seems to magnetize and the sound comes back out again.

What is this a symptom of?

To be fair, some magical tones come out of the crappiest guitars, and there are a few Squiers out there that have parts that fit together better than any non-custom shop 7ender...but there's generally a reason aside from name and title that they're entry-level instruments.

However...

I definitely want one of these:

0326902500_md.jpg

I can always switch out the pickup and take the 'squier' off the headstock if need be. A strings-through bridge, maple neck, classic look. It would be huge for reggae. wow.

Ash on basswood - tightened lows with a pronounced upper mid. That would sound awesome with a neck pickup placement. Squier has some decent picks that, with some upgrades, could be more effective than 7enders. Time and money though. Like you, my vote isn't on the squier if it's pound for pound without any extra love.

Glad you love your strat Bouche. I think that I'd have a crush on your Rickenbacker if I were to have 5 minutes alone with it though.

are you kidding me? A squier? as IF!

she's a purebread USA 97 strat mutha fuckaaaaaaa!

Haha! I'm jealous! Just wondered because I've seen lots of Squiers that have had that same issue and it's almost always the input jack connections. If the jack comes loose every once and awhile it slowly gets twisted and eventually the wires pop off.

I think that I'd have a crush on your Rickenbacker if I were to have 5 minutes alone with it though.

What model of Rickenbacker do you have? I've got a 320 short scale that spends a lot of time in it's case but I love it. They're killer guitars!

Wiggling the plug doesn't seem to help' date=' but if I give the guitar a good wack on the face, it seems to magnetize and the sound comes back out again.

What is this a symptom of?[/quote']

According to the Fender manual that's exactly the proper method to fix a USA '97 Strat... ;)

it's an 87 strat. I typed that wrong.

My ricky is the 360/12 v64 reissue of the harrison model. I got that in like 88 or 89. Sweet guitar. It just rings man.

it's the same as this one

and this one:

harrison.jpg

Wiggling the plug doesn't seem to help' date=' but if I give the guitar a good wack on the face, it seems to magnetize and the sound comes back out again.

What is this a symptom of?[/quote']

According to the Fender manual that's exactly the proper method to fix a USA '97 Strat... ;)

it's an 87 strat. I typed that wrong.

Oh, it's an '87...Well, in that case what could be wrong is that you're wiggling and smacking your Strat... :P

I have no rickenbacker (you replied to me, not Bouche)

I'm a Jazz bass guy. It's kind of like the swiss army knife of basses. Does a whole bunch of things, but not EVERYTHING.

There's a reason it's a good idea to take a hatchet or a machete on a camping trip...I'll probably always want a fuzzy phat ol' p bass or a Rickenbacker cause they do their thing so incredibly well.

Less Jaco, more Rocco.

(Rick James, Bitch)

And the illustrious Paul Jackson was a one pickup kind of guy.

oh....i've been lost in threads before.

i should try another guitar. maybe it's actually the amp? Can tubes do this shit?

I opened the jack plug on the guitar and it's all solid. I don't want to have to remove the strings to take off the pick guard to inspect behind the pickups....or can I access this from the back?

i should try another guitar. maybe it's actually the amp? Can tubes do this shit?

If your amp has more than one input, try the Strat with the other one, as it might just be the amp input you were using. If the problem happens with both inputs, it could either be the guitar, or something in the amp's circuitry after the inputs.

(Just yesterday afternoon, I repaired the "High" input jack on my Roland JC-50 amp. The springy metal bit that engaged the crimped tip of the plug on the end of the cable was bent a bit out of shape, and it went from being flaky to not working at all. I took the back off, pulled out the circuitry pan, and bent the metal bit back into shape. HOWEVER. The JC-50 is a solid-state amp. Tube amps, however, can be seriously deadly to work on, as they have seriously large capacitors that can hold a big charge for a very long time. Aside from replacing tubes, I wouldn't work on any of my tube amps.)

Aloha,

Brad

it's not the cables. I knocked that off of the list first. i'm good with troubleshooting things, but I really don't know analog electronics shit all that well so these suggestions are helping me. That's a good suggestion. I'll try that next.

I have to finish watching The Dark Knight first. what a killer movie.

i think all you can access from the back is the tremolo? its been years since ive owned a strat, but i would definitly look in the guitar and see if anything looks bad, even if it doesnt look bad, the solder joint still might be broken. if the diff. amp n cables dont sort it out, it might be worth it to look thru the inner wiring and retouch any sketchy looking solderjoints

nice ricky, bouche, i bet it does ring

good luck