Jambands.ca

Andrew Rodriguez (Tiger Magik) - Toronto - Rivoli.02.12

Giggles

Howdy Y'all,

Just wanted to give the heads-up that Andrew Rodriguez (Tiger Magik) will be playing the Rivoli on Thursday, February 12th with Black Diamond Bay.

Andrew is gearing up to release a new album and head out on tour with a new band. This is a great chance to catch him in a smaller venue...

Hope to see some of you there!

Gawpo Giggles :D:D:D

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=59273462

Edited by Guest

The new album is turning out great and hopefully it will be set to release this month...

Here's some more info on Andrew for those not in the Rodriguez loop:

Andrew Rodriguez is a Canadian singer-songwriter, born in Sweden, raised in Montreal and now based in Toronto. Formerly the lead singer and songwriter for Bodega, he is now a solo artist.

After recording the Bodega album Without A Plan in upstate New York with renowned producer Dave Fridmann, Andrew toured under the Bodega moniker, but he also started doing some solo outings under his given name, opening for Rufus Wainwright, Neil Halstead, Sarah Harmer, Sarah Slean and Hayden. While recording his solo album, Andrew took time out to help out on various recordings, most notably contributing guitar, keyboard and backing vocals to fellow Montrealer Sam Roberts' song "Brother Down". Also during this time, Andrew took to the road and toured extensively as guitarist/keyboardist with Melissa Auf der Maur.

what would it take to get him here for a friday or saturday show? that's all I want to know.

Hey giggles, would you come to Ottawa if Rodriguez played here?

Here Comes The Light gets played alot around here. It is one of the most beautiful albums available. This should have a vinyl release man.

As we have more of the new material worked out and the album actually complete we'll be headed towards Montreal and a stop in Ottawa is likely. We were going to head to Montreal for another show with Black Oyster Bay but Andrew opted out of it...

I'm really loving the new album...it's got little treats like banjo and mandolin that have yet to make their way into a Rodriguez recording...there was even a thought of the album being all acoustic but that's being saved perhaps for a future date...

-I'm in the band Mike so I'm certain I'll be there...

Edited by Guest

Andrew is REALLY excited about the new album and would really like to promote it/tour more and he needed a band that could give him that commitment when the time comes. He's ALWAYS had a stellar band with him and his last group of guys was certainly fantastic and wanted to return but Andrew needed to make a tough decision to ensure that there would be no bumps along the way in terms of sharing band mates with other bands.

The new band is great, the tunes are, as always Fantastic and we're really excited to start playing them for everyone!

I hope your around for this one too Jeff! And any others out there too...A-rod is the shit and the new album is sweet rock & roll...

Well, Andrew isn't a member of this board and I'm just spreading the word he's playing another show which people might not know about as it's billed under "Tiger Magik".

And about our friend the Supreme Bass Laser, Andrew just didn't want to have to worry about a situation popping up where one of his band members had obligations with another project...as such, he had to make some REALLY tough calls. He's looking to do more touring than ever in support of this new album and he was just fearful and cautionary of a few things...obviously weather or not his band would be able to make gigs/practices is HUGE so he made some decisions...

This is a great new band he's put together and I'm excited to play his music...hopefully soon in a city near YOU!

A poorly attended Ottawa show you say? Hmmmmm...

Anyways...I'm playing guitars (aco & elec.), banjos (open & closed 5-strings) and mandolin.

3 of us in the band are switching between instruments (the other 2 between guitar & keyboard) so it's a lot of different sounds coming out...thats what Andrew's been trying to do with his new album and what we're trying to recreate for the live performances.

Although we're playing a shorter set on the 12th (45 ins), it'll be mostly new material with a couple gems from "Here Comes The Light"...

yeah, the Bass Laser called at about 5:30 saying that a show in Ottawa that night....in like 4 hours from the phone call.

I posted it here, and called around to see who'd join us on at the last minute musical bender. I think there were a dozen people there. Every single person had a blast though. Been hooked ever since.

I'm sure we'll see one another soon enough Jeff...Give Rock City HELL TONIGHT!!!

Giggles :D:D:D

- Well we have Andrew of course, myslef, Phil Burns (Jason Kent & The Crystal Lake), Ryan Myshrall (Local Rabbits) and I'm a little embarrassed but I'm not sure of Adam, our drummers last name.

I'm not sure that anyone beside Mary made it out to this one but we had a good time. And thanks M as always for your presence!

Jason Bajada played a really nice solo set to open things up...he's playing tonight with a slightly bigger band (although not his complete line-up) at the Cameron House. Good stuff and I would certainly recommend seeing it.

We hit the stage to a nice little crowd at the Rivoli and I thought it went off really well. Andrew can be a bit worrisome about his music, which is typical of artists but after the show we were sort of flooded with comments of disbelief that the band hand only met and rehearsed 4 times. Andrews music is so intricate and full of dynamics that the other bands were really impressed which is a good boost for Andrew. I was told by a promoter last night that Andrew has already turned down 4 other gigs because he was uncertain the band was ready...he's now confident so I'm happy to say we'll be playing more shows soon...

Black Diamond Bay - I wasn't sure what to expect from watching their myspace stuff but these guys are good! It's epic, driving rock & roll! Heavy bass, driving drums, at times epic, wanking (in a good sense) guitar solos with some tasty keys over top...Andrew wasn't certain if we had just walked into a Pink Floyd soundcheck when we first got there. BDB is playing Sneeky Dee's for CMW and for anyone loving rock; I say see these guys!

-there was some video camera action there and I'm certain something will find its way to youtube...