Jambands.ca

The Dead - Buffalo, NY Setlist

Cully

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you that haven't read it yet, there is good interview with Jimmy Herring up on jambase.com. I've posted part of the interview below, as I think Herring effectively articulates what appeals to many about the musical philosophy of Phil Lesh & The (Grateful) Dead.

--------

... And I learned even more about that when I got the chance to play with Phil [Lesh]. That's one of the best bands I've ever had the pleasure of playing in. Phil really worked on getting us to play together. His thing was not having solos. He doesn't even like the word 'solo.' I used to call it "the s-word" as a joke. In his mind – and it's the most beautiful philosophy – music is a communal thing. And a 'solo' indicates being single, by yourself, and that's not the way he likes to view it, which is one huge group conversation. Warren [Haynes] and I were both coming from a school where when it was your turn you stepped up to play and that was how it worked. Then, when we started playing with Phil he didn't want any solos, per se. He wants you to chip away at your individual personalities and give something to the collective.

-----

Peace, Mark

Haven't been online for a couple of days...so just getting the chance to read your thoughts now.

I had a great time for sure. For me, first set was the highlight. Loser, Stella Blue, They Love Each Other, Ramble on Rose...I was pretty happy by all of that.

My interest wained somewhat for second set. I've never been a huge drum/space fan to begin with, and I didn't like the housey lead-in (to me it sounded like bad techno), but it could've just been our vantage point I suppose. I thought their cover of Maggies Farm was a little weak...Eyes was great.

I'd agree with Tonin's sentiments. For me Chimenti had many tasty moments. I was having a great time floating along to some of his runs. And Warren's voice sounded great. We were at the back of the floor, and his voice certainly carried. Bobby's...not so much.

We only hit the lot for about half an hour prior to the show. That was enough for me. Glad we did though. Also glad that we opted for hanging at the Adam's Mark for the majority of the pre-party. Great vibe throughout the hotel there. Full of hippies that like to party, but a more 'mature' (for lack of a better word ) vibe for sure (if that makes sense). Hotel staff was really chill from my take too, which is always appreciated.

Great to cross paths with so many good folks. The ones you know, and the ones that seem familiar. All and all, really glad that I was able to hit this show. Kinda wish we weren't so lame post show as we pretty much got back to the hotel and crashed. That was not my intention at all, but a full night's sleep without waking for a baby is a pretty sweet buzz in and of itself.

Peace.

I personally LOVED Drumz. Mickey's lack of fear of electronics makes for some very interesting events. Overall, the show was.....good. Not a lot of hi-lights for me, with the exception of Drumz, and Eyes. Stella was sweet too. The lot however..........absolutely disgusting. I was embarrassed to be associated with that. I'm going to make a t-shirt that says, " Leave so much garbage, that we can't see the footprints of those who left nothing but footprints." We don't own this place but we act as if we did............

I would like to stop one of the angles of discussion, if ya'll dont mind. Drums/Space is acid...or mushrooms if you are a pussy. I dont care what version of the Dead it is.

As a setlist entity it should always stay but as a topic of discussion it shouldnt unless you saw God. Switching gears, have you seen Mousepad's avatar yet?

It's my current fav.......

BikeTour2008130.jpg