Jambands.ca

Heatley to the Habs

badams

Despite only being one year into his contract extension with the Ottawa Senators, Dany Heatley apparently wants out.

According to a report on ESPN, The 28-year old who signed a six-year, $45 million contract extension with the team in October of 2007 - that includes a no-trade clause - has informed the team of his desire to move.

Senators general manager Bryan Murray has seen his club go downhill since they appeared in the Stanley Cup Final in 2007.

In the 2007-08 season, the Senators had a hot-start, but then had a brutal second-half of the season and held on to seventh place in the Eastern Conference, only to get swept by the Pittsburgh Penguins.

This past season, the Senators never really got it going, and missed the playoffs.

In order to deal Heatley, Murray would have to find a team with the room to take on the final five seasons of Heatley's contract that would count for $7.5 million per season against the salary cap.

Heatley notched 39 goals and 33 assists in 82 games last season. The 72 points were his lowest point totals in his four seasons with the Senators.

Heatley, who had back-to-back 50 goal seasons in 2005-06 and 2006-07, is believed to be interested in going to a Western Conference team.

"I still can't believe it," Fisher, one of the Senators' true leaders, said from his Peterborough-area cottage. "It kind of came out of the blue. It shocked everyone. All the players."

"I'm disappointed and surprised and a little upset, for sure."

FHF are wondering how else was the meeting between Clouston and Heatley supposed to go?

Clouston: Hey Dany, gotta sec?

Dany: Sure thing.

Clouston: Look Dany, I just wanted to discuss your role with the team next year.

Dany: Uhuh.

Clouston: Just score like between 40 to 50 goals.

Dany: Cool.

Clouston: K have a nice summer.

Dany: K bye.