Jambands.ca

The Importance of Being Dean Ween.

MarcO

austin

lots of anticipation for this gig---actually it was 2 gigs. i felt like it was gonna take a magic trick to live up to our expectations. lots of music around austin on this weekend, it's sort of an honor to be playing there on such a heavy weekend of music. we had a night off in town and my friend kwanzaa and i had a nice dinner across the street from stubb's and listened to the mediocre white sounds of string cheese incident wafting through the air like a nasty fart. our show at stubb's was pretty solid and we finally pulled out a bunch of the newer tunes and intentionally avoided playing l.m.l.y.p. if nothing else. we finished on a really high note with one of our better renditions of fat lenny and then went out for a night of texas debauchery that ended in my hotel room with a bunch of friends around 9 am. the next day we played the ACL festival opening for REM at dusk. I don't think we went over that well with the massive crowd (maybe like 30,000 people) but i thought we brought it pretty hard. the second i finished playing and took off my guitar i spotted gibby haynes, (one of my heroes) and we ended up hanging out til 3 or 4 am at a bunch of bars. the funniest part of the night was the fact that you couldn't park a car at the festival so we flagged down a van on the service road behind the stage which turned out to be filled with spanish speaking mexican dudes delivering food to REM from some local restaurant. gibby's girlfriend speaks fluent spanish and we ended up getting a ride back into the city from these mexicans, but we had to sit in the back of an econoline van on crates of seafood on ice. the van smelled like a rancid pussy and the whole ride was spent listening to gibby's girl arguing in spanish with the driver over where he would take us for 20 bucks and being shoulder to shoulder with gibby haynes and 5 mexicans. it was something i'll never forget. he's starting a new band and they're gonna open for ween on our upcoming american tourdates in the new year.

from tour journals, http://www.chocodog.com/chocodog/ween/ween_new/noflash_fr.html

The trick with reading these things in even a desolate office is not howling out loud which I've almost done 3 or 4 times now. This one almost got me last:

quote:

i was so fucked up that i spent the last hour before the show in my underwear walking around the club and trying to figure out how to climb onto the roof somehow

Man, Deaner was fucked in Edmonton, they abruptly ended the show cause Deaner could not continue, and like half an hour later we were drinking at the bar with Claude the Drummer and Deaner strolled over, out of his tree, couldn't even talk to anyone, he didn't stay to long, just long enough to pass on a shot with his glossy eyes, before he stumbled back out to the bus.

"the most memorable part of the whole set was late in the show when we were doing pandy fackler and i look over and there's this black dude sitting down at glenn's keyboard rig----i suddenly realize, "holy shit, that's bernie worrell" and i just about crapped my pants. i mean, if you knew how many times i've seen p-funk and every splinter group that has been spawned from funkadelic you'd be amazed. i mean, here is one of my heroes sitting in with ween at the berkeley greek. after he walked off stage i couldn't play a damn note, i was so nervous about him standing there. what's even cooler is that for like 5 minutes Ween had 2 black guys in the band, that's some pretty good stuff!"

- from berkeley

"for the first 5 songs i watched the red sox/oakland game from the stage on the tv across the room back by the bar, for the rest of the show we showed edmonton how we do it in new jersey. drunk."

- from edmonton

i cant wait for the 3rd!!!

" the bars in canada serve raw ham and cow blood to the candian patrons to get them psyched for the concert."

-Edmonton

" we played the university of alberta in some big square box that sounded acoustically great for some reason"

-Calgary )(actually the Univ of Calgary)

Ha! and that place IS some big square box.

Archived