Jambands.ca

Confirm This: Elliot Smith Committed Suicide

Jaimoe

Folk singer Elliot Smith apparently stabbed himself to death last night or early this morning.

If this is true ( I can't find the story, although the crew at MuchMusic seems to know about this ) please let me know?

Smith was a talent, and he worshipped Nick Drake ( another folk singer from England that killed himself... allegedly ). Sad news indeed.

Report: Singer Elliott Smith dies

-

Wednesday, October 22, 2003

By JAM! Music

Critically acclaimed singer-songwriter Elliott Smith has died from an apparent suicide, MTV reports.

Smith's body was found in his apartment, in the Silverlake section of Los Angeles by a female friend, who took him to a local hospital at approximately 12:18 p.m. on Tuesday.

He was pronounced dead at Los Angeles County University of Southern California Medical Center just over an hour later. He was 34.

A single knife wound was evident on his body, which appeared to be self-inflicted. However, police are still investigating the incident for foul play or other possibilities.

Smith, whose real name is Steven Paul Smith, had battled drug and alcohol problems addiction during his career.

The Omaha-born artist made his major label debut in 1998 with "XO," followed by the album "Figure 8" in 2000.

Before those releases, Smith had laboured in relative obscurity with the Portland-based punk band Heatmiser and then as a solo artist, releasing three independent albums between 1994 and 1997.

He made the major leap from cult star to pop phenomenon in 1998, when he performed his Oscar-nominated song "Miss Misery," which was featured in the movie "Good Will Hunting," during the Academy Awards show.

At the time of his death, Smith was working on his sixth album titled "From A Basement On The Hill." The album was set for completion by the end of the year.

-- with files from Sun Media

My god, that is terrible news.... so sad. He was a beautiful songwriter... [Frown]

From his homepage...

elliott smith 1969-2003

i met elliott back in portland about 1994. i first saw him play a show at a small cafe in portland called umbra penumbra. my friend was booking shows there and we had the honor of booking elliott and some others. i was lucky enough to be doing sound for that show which was to a small crowd of about 15 people gathered around chairs and a carpeted floor. needless to say it was that show and the many others that followed that got me so tapped into that beautiful world that is elliott smith. this site was started back in '98 in elliott's honor.

elliott was one of those guys that was just cool no matter how big or popular he became. he had absolutely no pretention or pose. his love for creating such honest music made him so true. putting people on guest lists, getting people backstage, sharing his beer stash, he did it all for his fans and friends no matter what. he wrote some of the best music i've heard in my lifetime and played it with such ease and grace. elliott could also abort a song like know one else could, but always in good humor. he was and is still one of the most humble and brilliant musical people i know.

i'll miss you elliott. thank you so much for everything you've shared with us. and thank you for finally coming to brookyln back in june when i saw you last. you were amazing. i was so happy that it was happening again for you. you will always be an inspiration and in my heart. be good.

xo, casey

ps - and thank you charlie for everything you've done for the fans online.

http://sweetadeline.net

if you want to post your thoughts on this site please write me here:

casey@elliottsmith.com

elliott's music is still here and will be forever....

Steven Paul (Elliott) Smith. August 6, 1969 - October 21, 2003.

Elliott Smith was born on August 6, 1969 in Omaha, Nebraska. Elliott spent his childhood near Dallas, Texas where he began his musical training at the age of nine, winning a local award for original composition at the age of ten.

Elliott relocated to Portland, Oregon as a Sophomore at Lincoln High School where he was achieved the rank of National Merit Scholar. During his time at Lincoln High School, Elliott joined the band "Stranger Than Fiction" in which he composed music and performed until his graduation in 1987.

Elliott later attended Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts, where he majored in Philosophy and Political Science.

During his time at Hampshire, Elliott, known then as Elliott Stillwater Rotter, co-founded the band "A Murder of Crows". He later became a member of well know band "Heatmiser". It was during this time that Elliott began to release music as a solo artist.

During his lifetime, Elliott released five full-length albums as a solo artist as well as a number of singles. Elliott was nominated for an Academy Award for "Miss Misery", his musical contribution to the Academy Award winning movie, "Good Will Hunting".

At the time of his death, Elliott was recording his sixth album, "From A Basement on the Hill".

Elliott is survived by a host of family, friends and fans.

thanks to daphne for composing an obituary

from chart attack

10 Reasons Why Elliott Smith Was Cool

1. He was a sensitive singer-songwriter with real punk rock roots. Smith began his career in Heatmiser — who came out of the gate in the early-‘90s as a Fugazi-esque punk rock band. That band also featured Sam Coomes, who went on to form Quasi.

2. Smith was shuttled out of obscurity in 1997 when he did the music for the Matt Damon/Ben Affleck movie Good Will Hunting. Smith was personally chosen to do the music by director Gus Van Sant, who happened to be a big fan of the folk-punk singer.

3. Elliott Smith was emo before Dashboard Confessional even thought of entering a recording studio. His songs are sweetly tragic, although the singer himself always managed to maintain a sense of legitimate edginess that prevented him from becoming trite or syrupy. No one could sing about love and heroin addiction on the same album with the same level of conviction as Smith did.

4. Smith’s appearance at the 1997 Oscars was probably the most delightful moment in the glitzy awards show’s history. Clad in a white suit, a nervous and out-of-place Smith took to the Oscar stage to perform "Miss Misery," which was nominated from the Good Will Hunting soundtrack. Smith lost the Oscar to Celine Dion’s Titanic ballad "My Heart Will Go On."

5. He knew how to turn a waltz into a pop song. Very nice.

6. Despite the darkness that often lurked in Smith’s lyrics he was also able to make some gorgeously sunny music. His last proper album, 2000’s Figure 8, was a Beach Boys-inspired work of pop brilliance, belying the somber lyrical content of many of the songs.

7. Although he was signed to DreamWorks, one of the fanciest major label imprints around, the label understood Smith’s indie roots. Not ready to record the official follow-up to Figure 8, this year Smith was free to unleash smaller releases on independent labels. In August he released a single on Suicide Squeeze and he also had songs in the film Southlander: Diary Of A Desperate Musician, earlier this year.

8. He was truly a solo artist and a gifted arranger, often playing all the instruments on his albums.

9. Smith’s real name was Steven Paul Smith, but he changed his name to Elliott while in middle school because he thought Steve sounded too jockish.

10. Most of all, Elliott Smith’s music was really, really great. He’ll be sorely missed.

-

This isn't in direct relation to the comments above, but was my reply on another board to this news. I'm posting here because I'm curious what others think:

I'm certainly not trying to be controversial, but we have a pretty good idea of what causes people to commit suicide. In Elliot's case it was the combination of drugs and depression. And while it is sad that this has happened we can't turn our faces to the glorification and martyrdom that we continue to apply to dead rock stars. I believe it was Jerry Garcia's daughter who eulogized him as "A shitty father", in other words there were all these great aspets to him, and just as many shitty parts that madehim human. A great man and musician, but a person who struggled with a disease, one that was very severe. And his friends and family offered their support but ultimately he made his choices and died because of them. Does this define a tragedy in the truest sense? Was he taken too soon?

Why do we give so much leeway in this regard, whereas the average drug addict is treated harshly and criminally instead of rationally and medically for what can only be viewed as a health issue?

Sorry for the rant, but I am always disheartened when something like this happens and the media presents it as a tragedy rather than a consequence of a dangerous lifestyle, a troubled individual alone and in need of medical attention, or both.

Archived