Jambands.ca

Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival 2010

Northern Wish

BLUEGRASS EVENT OF THE YEAR

July 15-18, 2010

On the Walsh Farm, Oak Hill, NY

Initial bit of the lineup looks pretty sweet:

DRY BRANCH FIRE SQUAD (Host band Thursday-Sunday)

SAM BUSH (Sat)

KATHY MATTEA (Sat)

DEL McCOURY BAND (Fri)

DAVID GRISMAN BLUEGRASS EXPERIENCE (Fri)

DOYLE LAWSON AND QUICKSILVER (Thu)

ROCKIN' ACOUSTIC CIRCUS (TBA)

ANDREW AND NOAH VAN NOSTRAND BAND (TBA)

JOHN KIRK & TRISH MILLER (Thur/Fri/Sat)

Early(est ever?) Bird Tix now for $135.

Good looking line-up so far, too bad US trips are not in the cards for me yet, so I'll be stickin' to Tottenham as well.

Early(est ever?) Bird Tix now for $135.

Do you mean for this festival or in general?. Some GOTV early bird tix are already in folks hands. loljb.gif

that fest definatly looks good sean. but this one looks sick but definatly a bit futhur of a drive

http://delfest.com/index.php?page=line-up

The Del McCoury Band

Yonder Mountain String Band

The Avett Brothers

Keller Williams & Friends feat. Jeff Austin and Keith Moseley

David Grisman Bluegrass Experience

Railroad Earth

Dailey & Vincent

The Travelin' McCourys

Mountain Heart

Joe Craven

Larry Keel and Natural Bridge

Greensky Bluegrass

The Hillbilly Gypsies

2009 Band Competition Winners!

Well maybe we'll just have to join you there Schwa. It's been a while. Are you no longer planning on heading to DSO? I'm thinking you have a great weekend in your future regardless.

Hey Edger, no DSO for me now. Remembered a shindig in Kemble I committed to. Please do join me at Sally Creek. It's on my birthday and less then an hour drive from KW/Hamilton.

Sorry for the hijack, NW.

My report could be a bit outdated, but I have been a bunch of times over the years, and I'm enjoying the nostalgia trip so I will share some:

The festival formerly known as Winterhawk is my personal b;uegrass favorite. (though I havent made it to Telluride or Strawberry Festival yet)

The location is amazing- Beautiful area- venue is on the top of a mountain facing west as you sit and look at the main stage- where you watch the sun go down behind the stage and over countless Adirondack peaks. Words dont do it justice- the nicest bluegrass festival site and layout that Ive experienced.

Fun fact- they hold Best campsite awards- I remember this one site- top of the hill where these maniacs had built a large screened in room, with a carefully levelled full size pool table! Couches and houseplants are common sights at the campsites.

Great lineups every year- great workshop tents and sidestages.

Top quality campsite jams- high instrument:attendee ratio.

You can park your cooler in front of the stage and drink there all day- at night- the party crowd kicks it up on the top of the hill.

Used to be that ticket sales were capped so that it wouldnt become too overpacked. Even so- die-hards are known to park the RVs and tents as much as 3-4 weeks before the gates open to get the best camping spots. For example, you can setup your campsite with a choice view of the stage if you get there say a couple days before the gates open!!

Its a totally family friendly festival- not full out bag searches which you can count on at a no-booze festival like Merlefest- There seem to be families with kids staying in both the quiet camping and the rowdy areas- kids running around all day having watergun battles in a carefree way that Im not used to seeing in the States so much- even at a bluegrass festival. The security I think is handled by the Fire Department- No Cops. Security is more as a first aid on hand if needed kind of presence.

The family camping areas are the flattest areas to camp, though I recommend bringing some gear that lets you level out your tent/RV etc to compensate with the hill.

If you go- be prepared for scorching heat- shade canopy is likely necessary- and also be prepared for wicked mountaintop storms. Wicked storms!

Really friendly town too- fans of the high lonesome sound should try to make it to this festival at least once!

I have done this festival 4 times. Its very family friendly and intimate. A great workshop stage as well.

two years ago they moved to another location. Not as beautiful as the last but still small intimate grounds.

I've seen bands like YMSB, Railroad Earth, hot buttered Rum, Old and in the Grey and uncle Earl. Always a great line-up and not far from home.