Jambands.ca

court ruling expected today in raw milk case

nibbler

Raw milk fight becomes a symbol of food freedom

JESSICA LEEDER

DURHAM, ONT. — From Thursday's Globe and Mail

Published on Thursday, Jan. 21, 2010 12:00AM EST

...A Newmarket justice of the peace is scheduled to decide today whether raw (unpasteurized) milk produced by the cows - heritage Canadiennes bred near the town of Durham, Ont., by activist farmer Michael Schmidt - can legally be distributed to the small network of consumers who have bought "cow shares" from Mr. Schmidt in exchange for access to the animals' unprocessed milk.

Although it is not illegal to consume raw milk in Canada, selling or distributing violates laws that require pasteurization of most commercial milk products.

The Schmidt case, which began when his farm was raided in 2006, has captivated food rights academics and advocates in Canada and around the world who argue the court's decision will ripple well beyond the raw milk community. At its crux, they argue, the case is really about the extent to which consumers should be free to buy foods, however rarefied, and whether constitutional rights stretch as far as the grocery basket, farmer's market and the people who own shares in - but do not live on - food producing farms...

Read the whole article at the Globe and Mail website

I've known Michael for about 51/2 years, and have used his products in the restaurants I have worked in since then. I have visited his farm (pre and post raid)and can attest to the pristine milking conditions in regard to cleanliness.

The problem I have with this decision is that now it will not only be Michael doing it, but when other farms realize his profit margins are much much much greater than the simple ass-raping they receive from the Provincial and Federal dairy boards they will turn to this as well. Some farmer's although hard working and deserving the financial reward may not all have the dedication to food safety practices as Glencoulton Farms.

I have witnessed over the last few years in my neck of the woods (Prince Edward County), conventional farmer's placing "organic" at their farm gate to obtain a couple extra bucks per head from unsuspecting tourists....and there are a lot of tourists. This is how difficult farming has become. Pretty sad.