Jambands.ca

Jimi Hendrix DVDs

snarfmaster C

i went looking for some dvds yesturday and seen the several jimi H dvds. but for the same reasons i didnt get one.. please help.

oh if anyone has any other recommendations for music or concert dvds please post..i do have live rust, last waltz and believe it or not phish in vegas.

if you're a reggae fan, then check out ISRAEL VIBRATION Reggae in Holyland

The reggaementary was shot during Izzy Vibes first tour of Israel in July of 1993, while Apple was still with the group.

It documents live performances at all 3 of their shows in the holyland, as well as interviews with the trio.

I love Israel Vibration. They are probably my fave roots reggae band. This dvd shows these 3 rastas who regardless of their disabilities from polio, travel the world performing.

I got to meet a few of them in Burlington, VT last May. They stayed at the same hotel as DSO and a couple of us partied that night at their show. Took me two days to recover from that one [Embarrassed][Roll Eyes]

tip: do not mix your Guinnesses with rye & gingers, and tequila shots on an empty stomache [Embarrassed][Roll Eyes]

It's hard for me to be objective because Jimi is the MAN...

The best dvds are probably "Woodstock" and "Jimi plays Berkeley"(just re-released but with no extras....the clowns should really let collector-fans decide what's the best...amazing)

The Isle of Wight is great....

The Band of GYpsies is ex too, and cheap, about $10...

There's one just called "Experience" it's a crappy promo film from '67 but worth having if you're hardcore Jimi w/ killer versions of Purple Haze and Wild Thing(2x)

The Dick Cavett show is interesting but again for more dedicated fans...

And then there's a biography(made in '73)which is pretty cool....the best one is probably "The Making of Electric Ladyland" really cool w/ interviews w/ the right people....

If you're going to grab a couple I'd say "The Making of Electric Ladyland","Woodstock" or "Jimi Plays Berkeley"

** The sad thing is that they've never released the Royal Albert Hall 2-24-69 show on dvd because of estate hassles etc..it's absolute treasure and luckily not too monkeyed around with...every f*ckin' show from the 60's they have to mess with, lava-lamps super-imposed on top while playing etc...so annoying..just show the guys playing in an uncut real-time "Experience"

'nuff said N (B&Z)

"Such a shame to waste your time away like this...

nothing but existing, nothing but a drag......"

J.Hendrix -"I Don't Live Today" , Berkeley, Ca

5-30-70 2nd show.....

quote:

Originally posted by insta-gator:

i went looking for some dvds yesturday and seen the several jimi H dvds. but for the same reasons i didnt get one.. please help.

oh if anyone has any other recommendations for music or concert dvds please post..i do have live rust, last waltz and believe it or not phish in vegas.

If you don't have it another grate!!! concert movie is Stop Making Sense by the Talking Heads. It's fanfreakintastic IMHO.

In august they released the Noel Redding Expirence sessions and I have heard great things about it.Haven't seen it though.

Live @ Berkley is great.

Live @ The Fillomore East is also kickass(Band of Gypsys)I know I am gettin this one for xmas from my sister...can't wait.

Guest Low Roller

My understanding of the Isle Of Wight DVDs is that the first one was clipped, and the second one was the "authorized by the Hendrix estate" full set.

I have the former, and it's really good.

Everyone should start with Jimi's Band Of Gypsies DVD. It's affordable and it contains the complete and extremely rare video concert footage from that magical performance. It's Jimi at his 'live' best. Period.

The Isle of Wight DVD captured Jimi on a frustrating off-night both musically and electronically.

The Woodstock DVD is great, but no revelation in comparison the Band Of Gypsies footage.

I just bought the Berkley DVD and it's really good. It's been on video for decades and the only thing that is a bonus is the digital audio and the 2nd set audio-only show ( you can get these concerts on a double CD too ).

quote:

I will also chime in for Band of Gypsys ... that album (and DVD) makes the Experience seems irrelevant to me ...

Whoa...settle down now!!!

Anyway....

Over at STG they have the complete BOG -Fillmore shows from'12-31-69 & 01-01-70(8cds),also includes the last BOG show from Madison Square Gardens where Jimi was apparently too ripped to play(sounds good to me!)

Just a little promo here...look over in the main forum at STG soon, I'm going to be seeding a couple of Jimi Hendrix shows - Berlin'69 (top-notch Red House, one of top 5 versions ever, incredible version of C'Mon pt.2, with a cadenza that will show you while Jimi is still KING) Also Liseberg'9-02-70 -The version of Hear My Train has some of Jimi's wildest string bending ever-also what a cadenza!! Killin' Floor kicks too..also gonna' throw up an Eric Johnson plays Jimi live boot too...wicked....

But first, Are You Exp?????? Nn

Archived