Jambands.ca

A Musical Illusion

Dr_Evil_Mouse

this is making me feel really dizzy. would it work with someone from texas? I suspect the british accent lends itself towards musical phrasing. When I started understanding how proper french is meant to be spoken, I realized that it too was a very musical language with a very precise need for rhythm.

"they sometimes behave so strangely" is going to loop in my head for the rest of the day. thanks.

You should definitely check out Charles Spearin's latest album, The Happiness Project. (He's from Broken Social Scene and Do Make Say Think).

He invited some of his neighbours to come over and talk about happiness. He recorded the conversations and turned the speech into melody. Definitely cool stuff.

After each interview I would listen back to the recording for moments that were interesting in both meaning and melody. By meaning I mean the thoughts expressed, by melody I mean the cadence and inflection that give the voice a sing-song quality. It has always been interesting to me how we use sounds to convey concepts. Normally, we don’t pay any attention to the movement of our lips and tounge, and the rising and falling of our voices as we toss our thoughts back and forth to each other. We just talk and listen. The only time we pay attention to these qualities is in song. (Just as when we read we don’t pay attention to the curl and swing of the letters as though they were little drawings.)

Meaning seems to be our hunger but we should still try to taste our food. I wanted to see if I could blur the line between speaking and singing - life and art? - and write music based on these accidental melodies. So I had some musician friends play, as close as they could, these neighbourhood melodies on different instruments (Mrs. Morris on the tenor saxophone, Marisa on the harp, my daughter Ondine on the violin, etc.) and then I arranged them as though they were songs.