Jambands.ca

Ovechkin hit on Campbell

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

The Ovechkin hit from behind on Bruce Campbell mirrors the Lapierre one. so let's see what kind of rules the NHL plays by... are the superstars just as responsible for their actions as the third liner?

Lapierre got four games. Ovechkin is also a repeat offender.

Guest Low Roller

Campbell has a fractured collarbone and ribs and done for the season.

Ovechkin admitted in a post-game interview that he just wanted to "give him a little push".

I'll have to see the Lapierre hit again (can't see youtube at work), but my initial impression was they were very different hits. Lapierre's was DIRECTLY from behind. Ovechkin's was more side-ish and much further away from the boards. Lapierre definitely knew that he was putting Nichol into the boards hard. Ovechkin 'should have' known (but may not have known) that Campbell was unprepared for contact (his right skate wasn't planted), and it was move of a shove than a hit.

At any rate, it was dangerous and unnecessary. Should be suspendable imo.

In my view, Lapierre's was far dirtier. He could have pulled up because the play had ended. It 'looked' premeditated from that standpoint alone. I wanted him to get 10 games to be honest.

Ovechkin's was during a mad skate and doesnt warrant 4 games if you are basing it on Lapierre's hit.

Guest Low Roller

Both were pushes from behind for sure. Ovechkin made contact on the numbers on the back of Campbell's jersey.

They were also both away from play. Campbell got rid of the puck and Ovechkin chose to run Campbell rather than pursue the puck.

I don't know, I see a ton of similarities.

If Ovechkin doesn't get at least four games, plus more for being a repeat offender AND his fourth game expulsion of the season, then preference is being shown to the superstars.

Guest Low Roller

Campbell was trying to compensate for the hit that he knew was gonna happen and he was lucky he did, otherwise it's a DDT into the boards. In that sense it is side-ish, agreed.

In my view, Lapierre's was far dirtier. He could have pulled up because the play had ended...yadayadayada...

I can't see how the play had ended, the rebound off the post came right to Nichol and he was swinging at it in the air... The play was dirty by Lapierre, but at least the puck was there as he was hitting Nichol...

They will give Ovechkin 2-3 games (those next 2-3 washington road games tickets are already sold anyhow) any more and it would affect ticket sales for future Caps away games, and they want their CROSBY vs OVY matchup which is exactly 4 games away...

No way in hell they give him 4 games based purely on the Pens vs Caps game upcoming.

I can't see how the play had ended, the rebound off the post came right to Nichol and he was swinging at it in the air...

I'll have to see it again because, to be honest, I dont remember it all that well. I had thought the goal was scored and that Laps had enough time to hold up from what he was doing.

Edit to add: So Nichols didnt score on the play? I'll definitely have to watch it again but I definitely remember thinking that Laps could have held up.

Edited by Guest
note sure what happened

I can't see how the play had ended' date=' the rebound off the post came right to Nichol and he was swinging at it in the air... [/quote']

I'll have to see it again because, to be honest, I dont remember it all that well. I had thought the goal was scored and that Laps had enough time to hold up from what he was doing.

Edit to add: So Nichols didnt score on the play? I'll definitely have to watch it again but I definitely remember thinking that Laps could have held up.

yeah the puck came back off the post and he had just taken a swing at it trying to knock it out of the air.

Guest Low Roller

They were both horrible plays and should be removed from the game. As should headshots. I don't want to see someone get killed on the ice.

Either remove them, or eliminate the instigator rule and let the players police themselves (Bertuzzi on Moore not withstanding.)

I strongly agree with you regarding the instigator penalty. So does this guy, apparently.

Laying Down The Law To Laidlaw

Tom Laidlaw, the defenseman-turned-agent, is among the many who would like to see the NHL dial back on the rules and penalties that govern fighting and aggressive play in general. Way back when, recalled Laidlaw, the players did a pretty good job of policing the rough stuff themselves.

For example, said Laidlaw, there was the night in Edmonton when, working the blue line for the Rangers, he put a decent hit on the untouchable Wayne Gretzky.

"So the whistle blows, and the place is almost dead silent," recalled Laidlaw. "It was always that way in Canadian rinks -- no music blaring or Jumbotron blasting. Just silent. And there's [Oilers coach] Glen Sather, standing up on the bench, and he points right at me on the ice.

"And for everyone to hear -- me, the Ranger bench, the Oiler bench, and the whole crowd -- he yells out, 'Laidlaw, you are going home in a [expletive] body bag.' Kinda got my attention, you know?"

As a follow-up to the promise, Sather rolled Gretzky's policeman, Dave Semenko, over the boards. Heavy of foot and heavier of hand, Semenko made a living just being around as No. 99's space-maker.

"Here comes Semenko," said Laidlaw. "And I mean, boy, he's got that wild look in his eye, and his hair is all over the place, like he just came in from the bush, you know? I'm figuring, 'Oh boy, this is trouble.'

"He comes up to me and says, 'Tommy, are you going to be doing that to Gretz anymore?' I mean, like I say, everyone is watching this. I think for a second, and I know this sounds chicken, but I said, 'You know, Dave, I don't think so. Think I'm all set, thanks.' "

And the game played on. Without incident, said Laidlaw.

Had I gone deeper into Colin's head:

3 games would have too easily apparent that it was only that long so he could return for the marquee game against the Pens, this way, that is closed for discussion, and they can still sell-out tickets for Tampa next Saturday.. WIN-WIN NHL!!

[color:green]$$$ It's all about the Benjamins baby! $$$

The most surprising part about this whole ordeal is that the NHL has apparently decided they'll start being consistent with their suspensions!

No suspension for Richards, no suspension for Cooke. 4 games for Lapierre, 2 for Ovie. Gasp, it actually makes sense.

Guest Low Roller

How is 4 games for a fourth liner pest, but only 2 games for a repeat offender superstar consistent with anything? Unless you mean from the point they said they would be consistent? Does that mean everyone is clean slate now??

I guess the difference is that Lapierre is a 'dirty player' and Ovechkin is only a 'wreckless player'. Oh ok that's fine then. Much safer.

The guy even admitted to wanting to shove Campbell into the boards, wanting to give him a "little push", and said "injuries happen". I mean, holy shit, what's it going to take? He showed no remorse and even joked about it after the game.

Next he's going to pull out an AK-47 and shoot a guy point blank and only earn himself a two minute minor for roughing.