Jambands.ca

Tonight: Mayweather vs Mosley

Jaimoe

typical big money fight then eh? That's pretty much the best reason I can figure for the popularity of UFC. At least even in most shitty fights there's some fighting.

No, that's not it at all. This had everything to do with Shane not wanting to get hit a la Steve Molitor. The matchup should have produced more fireworks. There's been lots of great big money fights recently, but this wasn't one of them, for whatever reason. Mayweather didn't run and that's the main reason why he won (and he almost got knocked out by not running, in Round 2). One thing about this fight was that the only way you could see the landed punches clearly was in slowmotion; the speed was incredible.

Meh. I've been watching a lot of boxing lately and I haven't been impressed. In MMA and boxing I find it's the guys who make less dough who fight with more heart. If the "super-stars" don't wanna get hit they should become trainers, fuckoff, and let somebody who needs the money fight for it. Go punch timber with the karate guys if you wanna show off your speed or technique.

Meh. Boxing After Dark and HBO Boxing is almost always great. MMA has lots of dog fights and corruption is starting to creep in, not unlike boxing. And comparing the two sports is like comparing the Stanley Cup playoffs to March Madness. They ain't the same. The last undercard bout before the big fight last night was awesome.

One thing about Mayweather is that he's such a great boxer that he made Mosley look old, the same Mosely who recently destroyed Margarito and Mayorga, two big fights I doubt you watched.

Meh. Boxing After Dark and HBO Boxing is almost always great. MMA has lots of dog fights and corruption is starting to creep in, not unlike boxing. And comparing the two sports is like comparing the Stanley Cup playoffs to March Madness. They ain't the same. The last undercard bout before the big fight last night was awesome.

One thing about Mayweather is that he's such a great boxer that he made Mosley look old, the same Mosely who recently destroyed Margarito and Mayorga, two big fights I doubt you watched.

I think it might be more like comparing rugby to footbal or hockey to lacrosse but whatever. I was thinking about the recent "super-series" stuff but they are pretty choosey with what they play on BAD. You're right on about the corruption except that it's been there form the start.

I saw both fights. The Margarito was ok.

:relax:

oh yea of little faith ;)

Edited by Guest
baseball/cricket

I don't follow boxing at all, but I enjoyed watching the fight. I have watched a couple Mayweather fights now (his KO of Ricky Hatton a couple years ago) and his defensive mastery is a different thing to appreciate (as opposed to the old heavyweight knockout excitement), but is quite spectacular in its own way. Like you said Jaimoe, you have to see the punches in slow motion, but the other thing I saw was that the punches that did land were usually at the end of the reach of the delivery. Caused by the quick reaction speed and feet of the defender, is this why there aren't the knockout punches you see in the heavier classes?

I don't follow boxing at all, but I enjoyed watching the fight. I have watched a couple Mayweather fights now (his KO of Ricky Hatton a couple years ago) and his defensive mastery is a different thing to appreciate (as opposed to the old heavyweight knockout excitement), but is quite spectacular in its own way. Like you said Jaimoe, you have to see the punches in slow motion, but the other thing I saw was that the punches that did land were usually at the end of the reach of the delivery. Caused by the quick reaction speed and feet of the defender, is this why there aren't the knockout punches you see in the heavier classes?

There's just as many knockouts in the lower weight divisions and the fights are usually more exciting because the heavyweight division hasn't been good in decades, and this includes the Tyson and Holyfield era.

Mayweather doesn't have a knock-out punch; he's a hard-hitting boxer who throws clean fast two-punch combos. If he moved down a full division, he probably would knock more guys out, but he still can stop opponents with average jaws. Mosley has an excellent jaw even though he's been TKO'd. The welterweight division is the best and has some of the hardest hitting knockout punchers in the game including Manny Pacquiao (pound-for-pound #1), Berto, Marquez and a ton more.

What's really impressive about Pacquiao is his ability to knock guys out in heavier weight classes. Manny is fighting in 7 classes above his original weight, albeit this includes junior divisions. Power generally stays the same, so for him to have a devastating knock-out punch, not to mention being able to take big hits, is mind-blowing.