Jambands.ca

Scissor Sisters 8.31.10

mister slippery

So, yeah, they're coming to Toronto, Kool Haus or Docks or something.

I'm not even sure the above dates correct, I'm just posting this to ask a question.

Anyone have, or able to find, info as to what the VIP section involves? I've got a bud who's a huge fan, so tempted to get VIP as a surprise, but don't know what it entails, other than being limited to being on the balcony.

If this made sense, I'd appreciate any useful info.

:content:

It's at the Sound Academy (formerly The Docks). This is one of the best venues in Toronto for a show when it is undersold yet quite possibly the worst venue for a show when it is sold out.

The main area is just not big enough to hold capacity, so people have to spill out into adjacent spaces where they may or may not actually be able to see the stage. The outdoor patio is spectacular and affords an incredible panoramic view of the city.

My understanding is that the VIP area is just access to the upper level "balconys" that run the outer perimeter of the main room facing the stage. Presumably, one would be able to see everything from there and it would not be as crowded as on the floor. VIP may also include access to a small lounge area up there, I dunno.

so, to directly answer your question: yes, pay the extra $15 per ticket and get the balcony tix. if it is close to sold out, you will have a MUCH better chance of actually seeing and hearing the band than if you were to be on the floor. if it isn't sold out, go down to the floor and rejoice in the dance space.

btw, i like the new CD, it's in my car right now. skintight is way gay and way dancy.

• 1 month later...

Well, that was simply Fag-tastic!

Just an awesome night. They're basically down to a four-piece band since Paddy Boom left the band, but they've got a few touring musicians with em, so still a great full sound. Jake, Ana, Del, and um, Babydaddy, plus a drummer, a keyboardist, and 2 female backup singers seems to be the lineup.

DJ Sammy Jo was the opener, he spun a solid set of house, though a bit predictable. I'm not a huge connoisseur of house, but 2 of the big grooves were from live sets I've got on disc (Deep Dish in Miami, Sasha in Ibiza). Still, great songs, just a bit too familiar.

Then some lounge-lizardy karaoke guy, last name Spooner, did some discoish songs that were decent, but served little purpose. I was ready for the band, and so didn't need Mr. Spooner. There was talk that he was the Spooner from DJ team Fischerspooner, but I've done nothing to verify that.

Then, the extravaganza began. Lights a'plenty, throbbing bass (though the sound was never very good at the poorly named Sound Academy). I had mistakenly thought the venue had an 11pm curfew, but they lasted till 11:30, so we got what felt like an extra 1/2 hour of music. It was hotter than hell in there, but there was no chance of cooling down till afterwards, I wasn't leaving that. They played 11 of the 12 songs on the new album, of which "Harder You Get" is a poor song and the show's lowlight, and "Any Which Way" is a great song and was the show's highlight. Interspersed throughout were enough classics, which were great with the exception of "She's My Man", which started strong and really dropped off into boringness. A 3 song encore of Cover > New song > Classic made sure I walked out into the night with a smile on my face that still exists now. Thanks Scissor Sisters, when you come back I'll be there.

The Setlist (*)=From the New Disc

Night Work(*), Laura, Any Which Way(*), She's My Man, Something Like This(*), Whole New Way(*), Tits On the Radio, Harder You Get(*), Running Out(*), Take Your Mama, Kiss You Off, I Don't Feel Like Dancing, Skin Tight(*), Skin This Cat(*),Fire With Fire(*), Paul McCartney, Nightlife(*)

ENC = Comfortably Numb, Invisible Light(*), Filthy/Gorgeous.

Whew!

:clapclap: