Jambands.ca

Garaj Mahal & Fat Cats - Halloween in Hamilton 2010

briguy

I've watched some Garaj Mahal videos and listened to some tracks over the past few days, and once again I realize how phenomenal these 4 players are. Incredible musicianship. Having said that, I hope that they decide to veer to the funky and groovy side of things for this show, to keep all of us costumed freaks dancing. I'm loving the new tune Witch Doctor ... very funky. The same with Hotel from the last disc. And an extended Meatless Patty would undoubtedly keep people moving and grooving.

In any event, I'll be there and enjoying it, as these guys can play!

I'm also wondering about the start time and set times, as I don't want to miss the Fatties.

Peace, Mark

I realize how phenomenal these 4 players are. Incredible musicianship. Having said that, I hope that they decide to veer to the funky and groovy side of things for this show, to keep all of us costumed freaks dancing....

I'm also wondering about the start time and set times, as I don't want to miss the Fatties.

You'd think I'd know, but I don't... ;)

Looking forward to dancing the night away.

Right on man. Adv ticket sales for this have been great. Right around the 2008 adv sales. It's a guaranteed good time going down. A lot of kick ass people gonna be there. I am soooo stoked. If anyone's sitting on the fence i'll have some tix online through ticketweb.ca until 8pm tomorrow. Doors @ 9.

Dressed as a stag, I arrived at around 10 pm with my wife Liana, or should I say Artemis, goddess of the hunt. I was her prey ... she must have been impressed by my massive antler rack ... and my tail, which seemed to be a target of attention all night. ;):)

Shortly after arriving, Fat Cats hit the stage. What can I say about the Fatties that I haven't already said?!? I love this band! Jam rock at its finest, with rockin' grooves and solid songs.

At around midnight, Garaj Mahal hit the stage. Jazam! Wow! Things got cooking right away with the song Hotel, and I couldn't help but think of edger's comment:

One of my biggest take-away impressions from Halloween 2008 was how un-fucking-believable their drummer was. Seriously seriously.

With Garaj Mahal, I think that the above comment applies to each of the 4 musicians in this band. Unbelievable guitar playing. Unbelievable keyboard playing. Unbelievable bass playing. They are incredible players who push musical boundaries. The music that they play is complex and confusing at times, and it takes some work and energy to absorb what is being presented. In some ways, the music that they play is better suited to a sit-down theatre rather than a bar. Having said that, I loved what I heard, felt fortunate to be able to see them in such an intimate setting, and worked up a big sweat dancing to the music.

I felt fortunate as the band played all 3 of my suggestions from above ... Hotel, Witch Doctor and Meatless Patty. All three of those songs had me smiling, dancing and/or shaking my head in disbelief as I watched and listened. So did much of the rest of what they played! :) And I still have vivid and fond memories of the final 2 songs of the night ... Jamie's Jam and LSE.

I'm done for now and need some veg time, but I wanted to share some thoughts before the week sets in and life gets too busy for reflection.

All in all, another great Halloween experience in Hamilton!

Peace, Mark

P.S. Liana and I purchased a copy of More Mr. Nice Guy after the show and as I listen to it now I'm shaking my head in disbelief once again ... I just finished listening to track 3 (Tachyonics) and am now on track 4 (The Long Form) ... I'm almost positive they played both of those songs last night.

Edited by Guest
added a P.S.

• 3 weeks later...

I suck, I'm so late on the thanks and such. Got hit hard with

a cold and I'm way behind on everything. It was such a good

time with so many fun and funny moments. The music was

smoking hot and the Fats Cats were amazing. Another big

thanks to those guys for allowing me the opportunity to put

them on this bill. Without their energy the night wouldn't

have been the same, and the dance floor wouldn't have

started so early. I was delighted to see so many people there

around 10ish. What normally might have been a later crowd

showed up early for the Fat Cats and it was obvious.

Garaj Mahal floored me from beginning to end and pretty

much played everything I wanted to hear. As previously

mentioned in a different thread Fareed Haque is leaving the

band soon so this was an extra special show. I was quite

surprised when Fareed arrived and told me the news. In case

anyone hasn't read the other thread he's leaving the band to

pursue his other projects. Garaj Mahal will play as a three

piece and from what I was told it sounds like they'll have a

much different approach. I'm interested to see how it goes

and I think they'll do just fine. Fareed's Flat Earth Ensemble

is pretty wild and I recommend checking them out when I

bring them in next year.