Jambands.ca

Live from "Live at Squamish"

StoneMtn

So I am currently seeing my first act at this first annual two-day fest.

I am watching "Jon & Roy" (curiously a trio) including lead-singer with guitar and harmonica, bassist, and a drummer with a simple kit.

I don't know the first thing about these guys, but they are blowing me away!

So I am currently seeing my first act at this first annual two-day fest.

I am watching "Jon & Roy" (curiously a trio) including lead-singer with guitar and harmonica, bassist, and a drummer with a simple kit.

I don't know the first thing about these guys, but they are blowing me away!

They're from the Island, and Stephen Franke has been heavily involved with their career, I think as both a manager and producer. He also sits in with them pseudo-regularly.

Also, happy birthday man. I'm glad to see you're enjoying it in the promised land.

So a wireless phone company is here witha big structure all set up, with electronic things etc.

All I could see was my daughter's beach ball landed on top of something - easily climbable.

"Sir! Sir! You have to get down right now! Do you realize that's thousands of dollars of equipment?"

Gee - What were the odds they'd meet an anarchist rock-climber if they set up at the base of The Squamish Chief?

We are starting out today with the awesome, mellow solo-acoustic, folky sounds of John Bottomley. We are at the SERF Stage. We figured out this stage is the hippie/jammy/reggae stage. There is also a club-music (house, DJs, etc) stage, and the big stage where Devo and The Tennesee Three each played.

I think we'll spend the afternoon at the SERF stage. Tonight I'll hit the big stage (The Stawamus Stage) for The Decemberists.)

Lovin' John Bottomley. Lovin' him.

Okay, now we are watching Kate Morgan (perhaps The Kate Morgan Band). So far, it's pretty good, straight-ahead blues-rock. She has a nice voice.

Apparently she grew up here in Squamish, but she now lives in Kamloops, BC.

I like her so far. I don't expect this set to blow me away, but we shall see.

Okay, well my Blackberry died a while ago, but I am back home, put the kids to bed, phone is recharged, and I'm heading back for the Decemberists starting in 20 minutes.

Since I saw you last...

It turns out that Tommy Honest and the Liars are more like bassy heavy blues if THE MISFITS PLAYED IT! It was awesome.

I also saw Rich Hope. This was also heavy blues. It was a duo, being a guy in a tuxedo shirt playing wailing, REALLY LOUD guitar as well as singing, and a drummer. They were quite good. They'd be excellent at a party.

I saw The Dirty Heads. I think they're from California. AWESOME! It's like classic rock crossed with classic reggae crossed with dancehall reggae crossed with hip hop. They didn't seem to have a CD for sale, but I plan to find out if they ever put one out.

I saw some of Mother Mother, who I'd heard of many times. They were fine.

I'm off to The Decemberists, solo...

Okay so the encore ended up being disappopointingly short. Pretty underwhelming end to the festival.

Overall, it was a good time, though. The fest was well done. There were also only a few thousand people in total, which was cool. There were other nice touches, such as the concessions being all run by local, high-quality caterers. (I ate prawn pad Thai and Moroccan chicken while I watched shows, and the coffee was all organic.)

I expect I'll be there next Labour Day. You should come too.

-sm