Jambands.ca

computer nerd help - internet consumption problem

bouche

I always monitor my internet bandwidth usage so that I don't go over my 125 gig limit. Today I noticed a spike from monday that was at 35 Gig downloaded. I checked my torrent logs and i wasn't downloading anything of great significance or size at all this month.

I'm using a wireless router with 64-bit encryption, password protected. Is it possible that someone managed to do a drive-by hack and download, or maybe a neighbour kid can manage to pull from my wireless?

Videotron says that it's my responsibility, but I'm saying that I give them fuckloads of money as a good customer so they should credit me the discrepancy. The guy I spoke to was spewing policy to me, also saying that people can hijack routers, videotron leaves that bandwidth problem up to me, and I didn't want to bother talking any more about this without knowing other folks experiences with possible bandwidth jacking.

I probably should have not said that I have a wireless router, but how can I have faith in their bandwidth metering software? It could be fucked too.

anyone have some experience with this kind of shit?

Bouche - you mentioned that you are using 64 bit encryption, but did not specify WEP or WPA(2).

WEP is broken and while not entirely trivial to crack, it is not a significant feat to do so. (There is even software available to do this for you, although to my mind that is sort of like having software solve your Sudoku puzzle or daily jumble for you ... where is the fun and adventure?) If you are using 64 bit WEP, I would switch to WPA or WPA2. At the very least, step it up to 128 bit and change your network password immediately. If your router does not support either, I would spend the couple of bucks to get a new router.

I think that you are correct that if it were some sort of malware infection, you would probably be seeing more upstream traffic than downstream (unless your system has been sufficiently zombied that it is being stocked up as preparation to act as a warez server at a later date .. unlikely)

Also possible that the monitoring software is borked, but I'd certainly check your router settings as the first order of business. Using 64 bit WEP is sort of like setting your password to '1234' - I could piggyback off your network if I was your neighbour with very little effort.

This thread actually brought up a lot of memories.

Given that we are well outside the statute of limitations, it ought to be fair to share.

Many, many years ago - back when 'phreaking' was actually a term - I used to construct calling card numbers to make long distance calls. Later - and worried about being pegged down - I discovered something interesting. The local Pizza Pizza was running a PBX extender. I could phone them, say 'sorry, wrong number', they would hang up and I would get the double dial tone. From here I could place any call on their dime and have it show up as their number.

These were the early days, and there was no commercial ISP yet in place in Canada. However, several universities were connected. A couple of us had found that if you were to connect via modem to the University of Toronto's library computer system and send it a break signal, you would get dropped down to a shell. From the shell, you could telnet, ftp, archie (remember archie?) etc..

This is where I learned Unix, out of necessity.

This was long before graphical browsing. Lynx was the browser of choice and Mosaic was just coming on the scene. Since nobody had SLIP/PPP connections at this time, graphical browsing simply wasn't an option.

So I would steal Pizza Pizza's phone lines, call in to Toronto, get a hold of the UofT library computers, send a break signal, drop to shell, and from there 'surf the net' (as they used to say).

I would often route through multiple machines to obfuscate IP addresses. Eventually, however, I received the call from the RCMP which put the scare of God into me. Stop it, right now, or serious shit is going to happen.

Not much later, the first commercial ISP opened in Toronto and I could actually trade money for internet access. Imagine! I didn't have to do anything unsavory - I could just dish out a couple dimes and it would all be on the up and up. Phenomenal. Then SLIP/PPP, Netscape, oh how the story goes.

Bottom line -- I'd forgotten what a little punk I was in my pre-pubescent days, but there are other little pre-pubescent punks out there right now. Don't use WEP. Save yourself.

Silly question but are you factoring your uploading into your usage as well as your downloading.

I consider myself computer savvy and I totally didn't even think that my upload amount was contributing to my overall usage.

Best part was Rogers reversed all "over use" charges over the last 6 months, thought that was a nice way to reward my stupidity.

Also, my router has options for WPA2 Personal and WPA2 Enterprise. Difference?

From the link MattyC posted.

WPA2 - Personal and Enterprise

-With Personal version there is a single universal password, the so-called Pre-Shared Key (PSK) for everyone.

-With the Enterprise version, each Wi-Fi wireless network user gets his or her own password.