Jambands.ca

Strictly Lampin' Vol. 8 (annual mix by K2)

fluffhead77

Here's a link to the annual awesomeness that is Strictly Lampin'Vol. 8 by my good friend K2 (Keith Kelly). Seriously, I look forward to this each year and he never fails to disappoint. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I have.

Track listing and liner notes:

Strictly Lampin' - Vol. 8

Welcome to Strictly Lampin’ Vol 8!

Brad Mehldau – “Things Behind The Sun (Live)†The opening cut from Mehldau’s “Live in Tokyo†album is a fantastic Nick Drake cover. If you think you’ve heard Mehldau’s name somewhere before, it could very well be from his amazing trio version of Radioheads “Exit Musicâ€, which was featured on Strictly Lampin’ vol 1.

Morcheeba – “Wonders Never Cease†I hadn’t listened to any new material by this group in quite some time. While in Athens this past May I grabbed a Lounge compilation and this was the first track on Disc 2. Fans of Morcheeba from back in the day will note the absence of Skye Edwards on vocals, but I think Daisey Martey more than holds her own here. Powerful!

Aloe Blacc - “I Need A Dollar†My brother introduced me to Aloe Blacc a while back and it totally blew my mind. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I actually own a 12†single of his from 7 years ago, which I found while I was moving. Sometimes having a massive collection of music can be disorienting. This is my pick for song of the year. Period.

Jill Scott – “Golden†In my humble opinion, Jill Scott is the best pure RnB singer of her generation. This track from her second solo album is an empowering, joyful song that I can’t help but smile listening to.

The Black Keys – “Tighten Up†The Black Keys are two guys from Ohio who make great, bluesy rock music. In addition to having a real sweet groove, this track sports a rather humorous video (check it out on YouTube).

Hall & Oates – “I Can’t Go For That (No Can Do)†This song holds up a lot better than I thought it would say 10-15 years ago. In fact it sounds like it could easily have been made today. Hall & Oates have successfully crossed back from kitsch to become classic cool.

Diego Garcia – “You Were Never There†Diego Garcia sounds like he stepped out of the 1960’s to grace 2010 with his presence (and this song). Thanks to Argentina (by way of Detroit) for giving us this voice.

Jose James – “Promise In Love†Jose James is the embodiment of all that is right and good with jazz, downtempo, soul, blues, rnb... you name it. I had the pleasure of seeing him perform live again this year and can honestly say it was one of the few times in recent years I’ve truly been in awe. Despite the fact that my wife doesn’t love Jose James, this song always makes me think of her.

Baby Charles – “I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor†Baby Charles are a soul/funk outfit from the UK fronted by the powerful voice of Dionne Charles. Here they cover fellow Brits Arctic Monkeys.

Kokolo – “Girls On Film†I was never a huge Duran Duran fan. Kokolo makes me rethink that opinion with this cover.

Ben L’Oncle Soul – “Seven Nation Army†I was recently introduced to this cover of The White Stripes classic by Brian Dunn (he’s usually responsible for at least one great Strictly Lampin’ tune a year). I’ve heard plenty of Seven Nation Army covers, but this one is by far the most soulful!

Oh Land – “Son Of A Gun†(Yuksek Remix) Oh Land, who hails from Denmark has a sweet voice, and a quirky style that feels influenced by a variety of diverse sources. In her own words: “I want my music to feel like 2050 meets something really classicâ€. The original version feels a lot like that actually, with terrific results. That said, I like this Yuksek remix more.

Sebastien Tellier – “Fingers Of Steel†(Hypnolove Remix) Sebastien Tellier is a French singer songwriter who performs much of his material in French, English, and Italian. Fun Fact: He represented France in the “Eurovision Song Contest†in 2008, the same competition that launched the career of Abba some 30 earlier. Hypnolove takes the original and makes it all sorts of awesome!

Poncho Warwick – “Tainted Love†Towing the line between styles, this jazzy, downtempo house cover of Soft Cells classic “Tainted Love†is the creation of house maven Wally Callerio’s own “Poncho Warwick†side project.

Broken Social Scene – All To All (Skeet Skeet Remix) It was a big year for Toronto’s own super group. They released a new album (which was pretty sweet), went on tour (with Pavement no less) and commissioned scores of great remixes of their new material. My favorite of the bunch is this Skeet Skeet rendering of “All to Allâ€.

Stars – “This Charming Man†I like The Smiths. I like Stars. This cover is a no brainer. Thanks to my lovely wife for bringing it to my attention. :)

2000F & JKamata – “You Don’t Know What Love Is†If this is dubstep, then I love dubstep (I wish more of it sounded like this to be honest).

The Cinematic Orchestra (feat Patrick Watson) – “To Build A Home†Originally released as a

Cinematic Orchestra song, it becomes apparent after you listen to it that this is really a Patrick Watson song, with strings. Watson’s unique voice and passionate delivery are the perfect conclusion to this mix. I had the chance to see him in concert last year and it really stood out from most anything else I’ve seen in recent memory. Thanks Todd.