Jambands.ca

CRTC OKs 3rd party usage based billing-Bell manages to screw non-customers!

larry_llama

I have been enjoying unlimited worry free internet access from primus for 3 years. Just got this email today. FUCK BELL.

As you may have heard, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has recently approved Bell Canada’s request to introduce Usage Based Billing on wholesale Internet services.

The CRTC’s decision directly affects the High-Speed Internet service provided to you by Primus Canada and, unfortunately, the newly associated costs to Primus make the unlimited Internet service you are now enjoying no longer financially viable. This serves as 30 days notice that beginning February 1, 2011 there will be changes to your Internet service provided by Primus.

As a result, the following changes will apply commencing your February invoice:

* Your existing High Speed Internet plan will now have 25GB of monthly usage included

* For the minority of customers who exceed this amount, additional usage up to 300GB will be charged at $2.00/GB to a maximum of $60.00/month. Usage in excess of 300GB per month will be charged an additional $1.10/GB

* Additional Usage Plans can be purchased starting at $5/month for an additional 40GB

I suggest anyone with any bell services make their opinion known through cancellation. I will be switching my cell phone from Virgin (running on bell towers) to Wind, and telling Bell why. I will be switching my internet access to cable from Primus (running on bell's lines) and letting Bell know why. Apologies to Virgin and Primus who have been reasonably good to deal with.

Sorry bell canada - we don't need ya anymore!

Yeah, I got the e-mail from Primus too. This sucks but it won't affect me since I don't download a lot anyway.

I figure it's not worth switching since indeed most providers will probably go this way too. And Rogers doesn't have unlimited usage anyway, correct?

As for my phone, I don't have a cell phone, so I'll just stick with my Bell land line which doesn't cost me very much and doesn't rely on the internet.

Bastards.

Right now I am in Manchester, UK, enjoying unlimited internet. Limited internet usage is not a concept that many are familiar with here. WTF Canada. Also, he commercials here are showing that they are starting lay out lines for fibre optics for households. 50mbps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rally at Dundas Square at noon today against metered internet usage. A coworker sent this out this morning:

If you don't know already the CRTC has allowed Rogers & Bell to bill per byte of internet usage. This will impact our personal lives in so many ways. Think about how much CBC alone uses and how they will have to make up that shortfall somehow.

If you're able, I recommend as many as possible attend a big lunchtime rally against the CRTC's decision to allow Bell and Rogers to meter internet use.

The rally is at Dundas Square - today - Fri Feb 04 - at NOON.

For more info: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=188341937853896#!/event.php?eid=188341937853896