Jambands.ca

Daniel Lanois SOUL MINING

thomson

I am enjoying reading Daniel Lanois’ Memoir so I thought I’d share a review of the book....in the style of a grade five book report. Note: I haven’t finished reading yet it but I didn’t finish any of my book report books in grade five either so here goes.

Title: Soul Mining: A musical life

Author: Daniel Lanois (co-written by Keisha Kalfin)

Published: 2010

Pages: 220

About the Book:

Unlike a conventional autobiography, Soul Mining is not written chronologically. The reader isn’t forced to yawn their way through childhood highlights and family follies when what they really went in for was the rock’n’fuckin’roll. After only fifty pages I’d already read reference to Lanois’ dealings with Willie Nelson, Brian Eno, Emmylou Harris, Dylan, U2, and Neil Young...along with a dose of musings on the early years of growing up poor in rural Quebec and steeltown Ontario to lay a solid foundation for our peek into Lanois’ head.

Soul Mining gives you lots to get excited about. Obviously there are oodles of accounts of his work with big-name musicians if the glam of famous people gets you off. For the DIY enthusiasts, drawing on a pioneer archetype, there are also enchanting, lore-filled tales of the Lanois brothers’ first recording studio in their mother’s basement in Hamliton, ON.

The quality of the writing isn’t good enough to want to read a sentence over and over just to soak up the sheer beauty of it but the book is engaging, woven with a mix of personal stories, theories and philosophies of sound recording, and rock&roll history.

Quotes I Like: ('cause ya can’t submit a grade five book report without a quote from the book)

In addition to telling his own story, Lanois’ reflection on the times recreates the excitement of the pop culture developments of the time:

“Hells angels culture, hippie culture, the Detroit big-block had not been yet tamed by practicality, high gas prices, or feminismâ€.

So far the best part of the book (again I am only halfway through) are Lanois’ musings on his innovative approach to capturing, contorting and conveying music.

“This technique allows me to build an orchestra of sounds that relate to the song because they come form it. It’s kind of interesting to think of the process as skin grafting or laboratory cell division from a donor or the magnification of a clothing motif, i.e., if the dress has a floral pattern, I would put a pocket on the dress with the same floral pattern but blow it up twenty times bigger. Looking at the pocket would not tell you that it is the same pattern, but the tone and color would be relative. I’ve spent hours sampling, enhancing, and spinning these kinds of samples back into songs so that artists can have a beautiful custom sonic orchestra at their disposalâ€.

And, like any rock&roll memoire there are juicy tales from being on the road:

“Montego then tasseled her nipples with tampons dipped in lighter fluid, and proceeded to light them on fire...maneuvered her breasts, spinning the tampon tassels in one direction, and then the other...then the showstopper – one breast one way, the other breast the other way, all to Gene Krupa drumbeatâ€.

Would I Recommend this Book?:

If you are a musician, a recording engineer, have French-Canadian heritage, like motorcycles, live/have lived in Hamilton, or are a sound recording equipment junkie, then I recommend buying a copy (or requesting that your public library acquire a copy like I did.....cheap? community minded? you decide).

The reader isn’t forced to yawn their way through childhood highlights and family follies when what they really went in for was the rock’n’fuckin’roll.

I see you trying to sneak the f'-word in there without your teacher noticing.

You're a good person thomson - using swear words in your gr 5 book review........questionable

Be careful - in grade 8 I created a Russian character named R.J. Cutcherpeckeroff in one of my short stories.........I got caught. Now look at me.

Heed my warning.