Jambands.ca

The Barr Brothers Short Show Review

lsamuel3

Here's a bit of a review from the show last night (real one to come tomorrow on blogTO)

The show was at the Dakota Tavern which is an amazing and small place to see a rock show in Toronto. It's a tiny little basement saloon, with a barely elevated stage. I was speaking with Brad before the show and asked him if he's ever been here before and he said no. I told him maybe they should play more of their rockier stuff because it probably wouldn't be quiet and he said they were going to adjust the setlist. He also told me Andrew isn't playing with Land of Talk anymore...I also requested they play "Kisses from Chelsea" (which they did). So the Barr Brothers took stage at about 2 am - ish to a fairly packed Dakota Tavern.

Setlist:

Beggar in the Morning (some sound issues on this one)

Give the Devil Back His Heart

Kisses From Chelsea

Lord, I Just Can't Keep From Cryin'

Deacon's Son

Cloud (a much more aggressive version than they typically play)

Encore:

If You Leave Me

In the end it was a really solid show from the gang. They got a huge reaction from the crowd at the end of the set, and it turn's out Kevin Drew (of Broken Social Scene) and a few other guys from BSS were in the audience and congratulated and shot the shit with The Barr Brothers at the end of the show. Pretty cool considering it's Canadian Music Fest and there was like 50 shows last night to see the BSS guys out to support the Barrs.

Photos and a real review to come tomorrow, I'll post links.

Can't wait to see the guys tomorrow night in what's sure to be a quieter atmosphere (seeing them at a restaurant that holds probably 40 people max)

Edited by Guest

Sounds like Canada is embracing the Barr Bros. finally. I listened to that interview with Brad on CBC and the interviewer was congratulating him on getting in the CBC rotation. I thought that was a bit pompous on the CBC interviewer part, but I suppose that's how they'll get noticed by more in the industry.