Jambands.ca

NBA playoffs

peipunk

This great article by Bill Simmons made me miss the old days when I was REALLY into the NBA. Like he says at the bottom:

That's why these next two months of ridiculously good basketball have a guillotine hanging over them, and that's why Sacramento's soap opera symbolizes everything. Thanks to Durant, Paul, Roy and everyone else who made Round 1 so special, the NBA is blowing up … right as it's about to be blown up. Go figure.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Lebron is a fucking beast.

I've been loving the whole Heat as villains thing, it's made these playoffs interesting for me.

I've been hating on them all season but Lebron is just too much. He shut Rose, the supposed far quicker man, the fuck down in the 4th last night. Rose couldn't handle it. That's a forward on the premiere point guard in the league. His defense is amazing right now. Toss in his nonchalant aggression to the rim as he takes knock after knock but still finishes and it's just too much. He generates so much contact. He's also great at the line. And he shoots pretty well from all over.

Looking forward to Mavs vs Heat. Quite the rematch.

I want the Mavs to win in seven, but I'm concerned.

As I said, I have issues with the NBA, and it would be too fucking perfect for Stern, heading into a debate about contracts, for the Heat to win. It's just too obvious that the Heat are going to get the benefit of the whistle every time down the court, and that regardless of the talent on the other side of the ball, Los Mavs are gonna be running uphill against the fan, league, and officials' favorite players.

Yeah I want the Mavs to take it as well but Jesus Christ have you been watching these playoffs?

Once Miami figured out Kidd can't drive off the pick and roll and there was no need to double team, it was pretty much done.

It doesn't matter what takes place the first 3, this current Heat team is one of the best 4th Quarter playoff teams I've ever seen. They break your will. Too much talent, the half court defense is just amazing. I don't even think there's been a game where all three of them have shot well. Chicago series was all Bosh and James, Wade was off (shoulder maybe?). I can't even imagine what would happen if they all had a good shooting night.

That being said, the Mavs shot the ball terribly. Dirk didn't get hot and Terry and Barea were ineffective. Stojakovic was a liabillity. Hopefully they shoot the lights out in game 2.

And maybe Butler can come back to offer some hard fouls?

It looks bleak.

I can't imagine that this would be good for the nba. I personally will probably not even watch next years playoffs if the heat win this time. It will be a forgone conclusion, and regardless of what the execs say, that's bad for basketball, and what's bad for basketball will eventually be bad for business. Not to mention that I absolutely cannot stand the way that the officials help to propagate the absolutely infuriating arrogance of James. I'm gonna break my TV if I have to watch LeBron's chicken neck again.

All NBA officials are corrupt, taboot. :(

The refs haven't ruined too much of these playoffs for me. They've perpetrated bigger crimes in the past.

That said, I'm not sure how this Heat team will affect the league. Short term will definitely show a boost in the ratings. Super teams in LA and NY are a foregone conclusion. That will help ratings as well.

The NBA got by on just Boston and LA forever before the subsequent dynasties/mini dynasties from Detroit, Chicago, Houston, San Antonio and LA. Maybe they'll thrive. Having 4 good teams and a bunch of crap works for the English Premiere League. And really, isn't it about time the Raptors got relegated.

For me personally, I think it stinks but I'm unsure how it'll affect a league that fuels itself on star power.

I guess there's no point in panicking until the Mavs lose at home. There's still hope yet.

I think it stinks but ...

I guess there's no point in panicking until the Mavs lose at home. There's still hope yet.

I think they need a road win to make this legit. The heat are crazy at home and without at least one, it`s over.

and boring. :chug: :surprise: :bonghit: :chug: :bonghit: :dazed:

Edited by Guest

I'd love to see how the Heat handle all the expectation and pressure if Dallas somehow manages to hold serve and pushes it to 7. Just to see the look on their collective faces if the Mavs win game 6. It would make it almost worth it.

In reality the Heat will probably win 4-1, with Dallas taking game 3.

That was cuh-razy.

Tell me you didn't change the channel after the Heat were up by 15 with 6 minutes left in the 4th Thorgnor because I almost did. I was going to watch one more possession which I pretty much assumed was going to be a Heat stop followed by Wade dunk because that's all that was happening up to that point.

Biggest comeback I've ever seen in a NBA finals. Dirk was so clutch and schooling Bosh for winner was awesome (though Bosh should have gotten help).

Edited by Guest

Yeah I wasn't sure if he got a step or not (rushing off to the replay now) but superstars can dance in the NBA, Patrick Ewing would pretty much just walk up to the basket and put it down.

Terry was fucking asleep on that play.

Either way that was simply great.

indeed.

I'm psyched about the next set. If Dirk can find a rhythm, this one's locked, but the next two feel like walking on new soil... it shifts under your feet even when you have a good idea of where its going. More to the point, I want to see what happens during the last eight to four minutes of the game. That's where it's really won. If the refs let you pull some bullshitt with five on the clock, give'er. You get called? play conservative on D, and then murder, and by that I mean knee to the chestshit. Otherwise watch it all fall apart for the Dizzle from down sizzle.

yes. If Terry, Barrea, Kidd and Chandler can actually get their shit together the Mavs could stomp for a few quarters. Everyone is on Spoelstra's jock, but I don't believe that he can keep up with Carlisle in making adjustments. The switch to rolling Chandler in was so well thought out. And commentary monkeys be damned, Cardinal can play, and will out-hustle Haslem all game if you let him. Dirk and Chandler need to get their backs on somebody and start rebounding, but that isn't as important as hitting shots.

:chug:

Edited by Guest

Everyone is on Spoelstra's jock, but I don't believe that he can keep up with Carlisle in making adjustments. The switch to rolling Chandler in was so well thought out.

So much THIS! Carlisle coached a great game last night and I've got to admit I had a lot of man love going for Chandler last night. 15 boards (maybe? can't remember) and he got a huge rebound in a lot of traffic right at the end. I also like that he learned his lesson about not going hard enough to the rim and got to the line after get owned by that pretty fucking amazing Wade block.

I've got to give credit where credit is due, Wade is a great player and he may be tossing up too many crappy threes at the end of games but at least he wants the ball. With the way Lebron's play has slide during the finals I'm pretty sure some ad execs at Nike are starting to sweat.

LeBron is, imo, the most impressive physical and intuitive player I have ever seen. That said, he shirks responsibility and wants glory too much for me to be ok with him. He's exciting, but I don't see him as a leader. He just isn't very bright on or off the court when pressure is on. He seems to think slowly. His words are tinny. No bass.

Wade on the other hand leads by example and is the *best player after Jordan, Bryant [and Bird (-not an 'athlete')] that the game has seen. Always thinking.

Actually, this year's finals is a brainer for once, if you forget about LeBron and no mind, all heart, Chalmers (this kid is terrifying when he's on auto-pilot). Kidd, Nowitzki, Barrea, Wade, and I don't want to say it, but Bosh too. As far as basketball goes these guys are thinkers.

Amendment; LeBron is also the single most frustrating faker in the whole league. Why the refs insist on making bad calls in order to make LeBron look better is beyond me, and why LeBron would be proud of flopping like he did in the first half leaves me absolutely flabragasted. I'm with Van Gundy, it makes the game into a farce.