Jambands.ca

RIP Jason Molina (Magnolia Electric Co, Songs: Ohia)

Northern Wish

"Jason Molina, of Songs: Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co., has died, as Chunklet notes.

Molina died on Saturday, March 16 from organ failure due to alcohol consumption, according to Chunklet. His last release was 2012's Autumn Bird Songs.

Molina's problems with alcohol were brought to public awareness in late 2011, when the Molina family posted a plea for contributions to Jason's medical fund on the Magnolia Electric Co. website. They wrote that over the last two years, he had been in and out of rehab. He did not have medical insurance, and had been in convalescence working on a farm in West Virginia."

I caught a Magnolia Electric Co. show in Ottawa back in 2008.

So sad......

Edited by Northern Wish

Major bummer, this guy was the real deal a really amazing songsmith.

Songs Ohia is likely an aquired taste(you have to like downer music like I do) but Magnolia Electric Co is really easily accessible I would highly recommend the first two studio albums Self Titled and what Comes After The Blues. The live one is great as well.

He was every bit as good as Ryan Adams or Jeff Tweedy but a whole lot less people knew who he was.

Sad news.

Fucking goddam tragedy. Such a waste of a talent and gentle soul. He produced better Neil Young than Neil Young has been doing for the past twenty years. May you rest in peace Jason. I am forever honoured to have crossed paths with you and like Hendrix, I hope your music will never stop.

He produced better Neil Young than Neil Young has been doing for the past twenty years.

Exactly! I got so many people into him and his music. I knew he was hit with hard times but didn't expect this. It's been days and I'm still in shock. It's not like he was old. I hope him and his family and friends can find peace.