Jambands.ca

John McLaughlin & The 4th Dimension

bONES

I'm in Seoul at the Mapo Centre for the Arts.

Sitting in on the sound check for John McLaughlin & The 4th Dimension.

I love Mahavishnu Orchestra & the album Friday Night in San Francisco with Al DiMeola and Paco DeLucia.

This sounds fantastic!

It's going to be a great show.

I'm the only one here at the moment so no one said a thing as I walked in and took a seat :)

Will report more after the show.

Its good to get out and see some live music over here!

Edited by Guest

I think that's where I saw John Scofield too. (... waiting for Hamilton to correct me...)

I dunno - I didn't see Scofield in Seoul. I don't recall him being there when I was there; maybe he played after you arrived but before I returned. Mapo-gu is in the south end of town, past Gangnam-gu, if that helps.

bONES- care to sum up the show in 15 words or less?

[color:gray]or more if you prefer

John can play guitar, that's for sure !

The bass player dished out some fat bombs that I could feel resonating through my body

They are a 4 piece and had 2 drum kits on stage.

A few times during the night the keyboard player would get behind one of the kits and it would be full on drums with guitar & bass.

The Mapo Arts centre is NOT south of the river in Gangnam.

It is 5 subway stops away from Itaewon near the Daeheung Station. It is a part of Sogang University. I don't think that's near Gangnam, but I don't live here. So correct me if I am wrong Hamilton.

Very nice, intimate theatre with excellent sound and great site lines. I was 7 rows back right on the aisle and no one beside me.

I had a few beers before going in and had to urinate twice during the show. Staff would not let me back in the theatre until the song the band was playing ended that tune. I was not happy about that and told them I had paid a lot of money to be there. And this is a jazz show, they don't stop a song and give people time to re-enter the theatre !

My ticket was 60,000 KRW, but I get an entertainment allowance, so it cost me nothing :cheers:

The show seemed kind of short to me, but was an hour and 40 minutes, so I guess that was pretty good.

I really enjoyed myself, but honestly was getting a little bored by the end and was happy to get out of there and get myseldf a burrito at TomaTillo before bed :)

Would I go again? For sure.

Was it the best show I've witnessed? No

John looks great for 72 though and still plays the shit out of that guitar !

bONES- care to sum up the show in 15 words or less?

[color:gray]or more if you prefer

The Mapo Arts centre is NOT south of the river in Gangnam.

It is 5 subway stops away from Itaewon near the Daeheung Station. It is a part of Sogang University. I don't think that's near Gangnam' date=' but I don't live here. So correct me if I am wrong Hamilton.[/quote']

Sorry, brain fart. I was thinking of the Yangjae Art Centre, which is exactly where I described. Mapo is indeed closer to Itaewon, which is nowhere near Gangnam. I have never been to the Mapo Art Centre at all. Maybe I should go to bed.