Jambands.ca

BSS in Ottawa tonight

dave-O

Good Gawd!!! [Eek!][Eek!][Eek!]

Did anyone else make it to the show? Metric rocked (their lead singer is also pretty damn sexy, I'm talking sex vixen sexy), BSS rocked even more. Definitely one of my top 5 shows from the last year. Crowd was pretty tame, but the music rocked all the same. That rhymes Marge, and you know it rhymes.

Yeah, it was funny, because when I saw the Metric guys come on stage to join BSS, the first thought that popped into my head was seamless set. BSS members were also changing instruments throughout, and no doubt they jam. Their horn section was fucking fantastic, and 4 guitarists never sounded so god damn good. They're all quality musicians for sure, and you can tell they have tons of fun playing together.

Man, I was so turned on watching Emily jam on her keyboard set-up, bobbing her head around and just rocking the fuck out. That girl is a total rock star. You're right about Metric's sound...dated and timeless.

BTW, that gentleman Reg guy (I think that was his name?) showed up for a couple of tunes in one of the several encores. Kind of a weird shtick but good tunes. BSS's lead guy (with the beard, I don't know any names) kept thanking everyone in the crowd for coming out and talking about what a fantastic year they've had. I can't wait to check em out again.

yeehaw!

Happy to say I liked the show with a few minor compaints.. great bands, well worth seeing. Metric was tight, and their new-wave sound was undeniable and fun; as was their look, and posing. I'll have to point out that one reason Metric was so tight was that they were playing on a few tracks with pre-set melody or sound samples-(not an invisible keyboard player) meaning the drummer probably had an ear piece with cues/tempo. Anyway- not saying thats bad, just pointing it out as something i noticed contributing to their sound. They were definitley a tight as hell band and they played the tunes with heart and rockstar pizazz. It was fun watching her biting her lip as she twiddled her Moog knobs, or make excstatic faces while rubbing her legs together- the singer was definitley fun to watch in a lame voyueristic kind of way. Equally fun to watch were the bobbing erections of the drooling scenesters. She certainly is hot and knows it, maybe going slightly over the top with it but i wouldnt complain about that. she reminded me of a cross between joan jett and the chick who sings '...standing on the rooftops.. shout it out.. baby i'm ready to go' haha. anyway, good stuff i thought.

Broken Social Scene had a lot more happening on stage, definitley lots to look at, and I liked the tracks that I knew from the record. I thought they were all great musicians. Their stage banter made me quiver, but i hate that shit. I would overall agree their music is pleasant where metric was more rockin. Great to see a lot of the players equally proficient on a bunch of instruments as well. I dont think there was a lot of jamming persay. IN fact I'd wager there wasn't 1 non-pre-decided moment. everyone's perception of 'jamming' is different obviously.

on a related note kung, I have a point to make on your 'controversial' thought. I think comparing BSS riffing into one of their tunes to comparing 2 bands on stage for the first time actually improvising a segue between sets to a song one band doesnt even know is pretty ignorant. Of course the band thats been doing the same thing every night for 9 months (BSS touring since march) will be sounding better and more together.. nothing to do with musicianship, moreso just knowing exactly where you are going musically. A seamless show leaves both bands balls in the breeze- thats why we hate them, its easy to come off badly, thats because you have nothign to rely on and often no idea what the other band has planned or how/if they jam. The really great moments are truly off the cuff which does raise their appeal slightly to the bands.

anyway, i left early so maybe there was more toward jamming the end. but i thik that distinction is important. I think you just want more fashion in the jam scene kung.

Problem with the night- The audience! made me want to leave from the moment I got there. People were already not interested in moving before metric started.. and I saw people who didnt move an inch from their initial 'spot' from the time i arrived. what a way to enjoy music.. insane. I found it rubbed off on me and certainly detracted from my enjoyment of the experience- (also the two people i was with were hating it, which makes it tough).. but being scrutinized for walking along the edge of the crowd to a get a fucking beer was a pretty big turnoff.

so yeah- i'd see both bands again, but I would prefer to see them in an atmostphere of fun and jubilation, rather than quiet scrutiny. (or however indie-kids call the way they watch bands) without moving.

hilarious quote of the night; 'These guys should call themselves Dinosaur Junior Junior'- stapes

Holy fucking Christ that was good. Satisfying in a "T-Bone Steak and Mash" kind of way. I've been torn up since last night about whether one band stood out from the other but there's really no substitute to having both of them in the same venue.

I had some of the same gripes as gentlemonkey regarding the lamer fucking crowd. Talked to a guy outside who orally traced a map of how he knew this guy and that guy, who uses to play with this guy...oh...and he was only at the show because he got free tickets. He can take his dunhills and shove 'em.

The venue too...and here is my dilemma. The sound was perfect, and yet there's nothing else to like about that place. But the sound was perfect.

As for BSS, well good god they were great and suprisingly new/better/different compared to HIllside I thought. I don't know when you left gentle, but towards the end of the show, with the horn section now off-stage and playing up TOWARDS the stage...I had me a good ol' time despite the swathes of telteubbies staring and grinning but feeling too inhibited to dance. The fact that you could count the heads bobbing pretty much says it all.

After reading what I said here I wanted to elaborate on the two bands a bit. I think the mindfuck award for the night arguably went to Metric. I think the "layer upon layer upon layer" award went to BSS.

No fucking kidding! Sure Emily (Haines) is a smokin' hotty with lyricism that puts Steely Dan to shame but that band- so tight. I love how the sound is rooted in New Wave but sounds all it's own- both dated and timeless. And BSS well what can you say. Not to be controversial but it really puts our bands to shame, take a seamless set situation where there's 8 or 9 players on stage- well there's no comparison- the quality of musicianship is just not on a par. And there's no doubt that what they're doing at points is jamming.

Yo yo Ottawankers, Heady Epic was in the Hizzouz looking for some action. You know, there really is nothing worse than a lo-fi Indie Rock fan that thinks their opinion matters more than mine. Heady Epic likes the poon, but I think the only thing these dudes cared about was whether or not they could say they went to see BSS. BullShitSuckas. The only fans that could like this band are pretentious pricks who think they have their fingers on the pulse. I guess it's better than up their arses. Even the word "rock" doesn't count when you've got a sexy little boy fronting Metric, but all you sucka's think this small breasted chickita is hot. Did I get a 'rock' looking at her? I had a nice stubby going from this blonde in an Abercrombie sweater to my right, but as soon as I looked at the stage, my mast-her when I'm plastered turned into a wet noodle. And no one was partying either. I mean, dont people like to have a few drinks nowadays? Unless everyone there was on more narcotics than I was, which I HIGHly doubt, nothing was going down on me, or on the rest of the slags in attendance. I haven't seen so many chains-from-your-pants-to-your-wallet in one place since Woodstock 99. You can barely afford that Value Village t-shirt to cover your scrawny malnourished body, poser boy. Like i'm gonna steal YOUR wallet. Anyways, the guitars were a-raging, the scenesters were a-gazing, but the ganj wasn't blazing so Heady Epic wasn't stayin'.

Well BSS, you still may be my fag but I ain't your bi-otch. I am a Morris Day from the Time. Jungle love on this, baby!

Welcome to the board!! [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by Heady Epic:

Yo yo Ottawankers, Heady Epic was in the Hizzouz looking for some action. You know, there really is nothing worse than a lo-fi Indie Rock fan that thinks their opinion matters more than mine. Heady Epic likes the poon, but I think the only thing these dudes cared about was whether or not they could say they went to see BSS. BullShitSuckas. The only fans that could like this band are pretentious pricks who think they have their fingers on the pulse. I guess it's better than up their arses. Even the word "rock" doesn't count when you've got a sexy little boy fronting Metric, but all you sucka's think this small breasted chickita is hot. Did I get a 'rock' looking at her? I had a nice stubby going from this blonde in an Abercrombie sweater to my right, but as soon as I looked at the stage, my mast-her when I'm plastered turned into a wet noodle. And no one was partying either. I mean, dont people like to have a few drinks nowadays? Unless everyone there was on more narcotics than I was, which I HIGHly doubt, nothing was going down on me, or on the rest of the slags in attendance. I haven't seen so many chains-from-your-pants-to-your-wallet in one place since Woodstock 99. You can barely afford that Value Village t-shirt to cover your scrawny malnourished body, poser boy. Like i'm gonna steal YOUR wallet. Anyways, the guitars were a-raging, the scenesters were a-gazing, but the ganj wasn't blazing so Heady Epic wasn't stayin'.

Well BSS, you still may be my fag but I ain't your bi-otch. I am a Morris Day from the Time. Jungle love on this, baby!

Easy there pardner. I can just see you getting all giddy there Jay thinking you got a pocket rocket to launch in my general direction. I too enjoy the Heady Epic's cum laced stream of consciousness. Which is not to say that I like getting come in my eye if you no what I mean. I'd call this round a draw lest we have to call out the big guns.

"but the ganj wasn't blazing so Heady Epic wasn't stayin'."

Yeah, I forgot about that...I went out to puff a doobie before BSS went on, and some fucking bouncer who was apparently patrolling the tiny outdoor smoking section told us to put it out and stomp on it...he wouldn't even let me put the extended roach in my joint container. That pissed me off, though I did get some quality tokes before the joint's untimely demise.

And just for the record, while I think Emily is sexy, I wasn't poppin no wheelie. I'm one of those "cool" indie kids who saves his boners for the backstage and treats wallet chains and Value Village with equal disdain.

I have to say I was quite impressed with the soundman's ability to keep the wall of guitars at a manageable volume and balance. The sound was perfect, you've got that right. I caught a couple of tricks from the man behind the board (volume swells and harmonies on the female vox). Good show... and the people watching was fun.

Well, interesting comments but really not that interesting. I mean every time we talk about indie bands in relation to the scene we revolve around the differences and similarities. As for the scene, I wish to be completely disocciated with it because there's too many negative connotations and clearly I...we..like all kinds of stuff so let's all be part of the "music" scene and leave it at that. I think I'm saying this now whereas a few years ago, and living in patchoulie junction that is Guelph, I only had eyes for jambands.

kung you might've had a different take on the sow if you'd seen it here in O-Town since most people in O-Town are refreshingly simple-minded. I don't mean stupid, I mean there's likely les of the holier-than-thou attitude of Torontonians. Since there's so many up-and-coming bands swarming there I think as a teen I spent alot of time at the Comfort Zone because I was too intimidated by too many bands with too many snooty fans. Probably in comparison to what you commented on Ottawa would've seemed tame.

Alls I know is that I enjoy live music and check out new things based on recommendations. I won't say put much more thought into it

So from the sounds of it everyone (almost) everyone who went found both bands engaging. I also was having major difficulties with the audience in Toronto so not much to say on that score. The ‘bobbing erections’ comment I relate to as with the desire to appreciate these bands ‘an atmostphere of fun and jubilation, rather than quiet scrutiny’. Well put. I sympathized with Big Friendly’s remark (in the Circle of Kife thread) that a bunch of mashers is preferable to a bunch of lemmings about to go over the cliff. You know what’s really the height of irony is that if you’re familiar with Emily’s lyrics they could be construed as directly referential to lame crowds such as these: ‘Easy living crowd so flat, they try to kick it their feet fall asleep’ (Combat Baby); ‘Dead disco, dead funk, dead rock and roll, remodel, everything’s been done’ (Dead Disco); ‘Calling from the next hotel can you put me on the list’ (The List). At any rate, her lyrics can be construed a lot of ways but it’s fairly clear there’s a glaring indictment in their of limp dicked community radio twits (at least that’s how I’d put it). The irony is obviously lost on almost everyone as they persist in sticking in their spot and staring. You want a moment of humour imagine the sight of cowboy trips during the second set trying to bum some rolling papers off of ANYONE- oh the looks were painful.

And as for Gentlemonkey’s response to my controversial notion I would have to largely agree with everything he’s said:

quote:

I think comparing BSS riffing into one of their tunes to comparing 2 bands on stage for the first time actually improvising a segue between sets to a song one band doesnt even know is pretty ignorant. Of course the band thats been doing the same thing every night for 9 months (BSS touring since march) will be sounding better and more together… nothing to do with musicianship, moreso just knowing exactly where you are going musically. A seamless show leaves both bands balls in the breeze- thats why we hate them, its easy to come off badly, thats because you have nothing to rely on and often no idea what the other band has planned or how/if they jam.

I don’t know if it’s necessarily the case that ‘there wasn't 1 pre-decided moment’ though. I also don’t know if you fully realize that the touring version of the band is really just the six core members that occasionally held down the stage. The players in Metric don’t regularly play with BSS, although Emily contributes vocals on the album, as is the case with the bulk of additional horns, violinist, sidemen like Gent Reg or Jay Ferguson etc. I think my point is that most seamless sets I’ve seen were in fact nothing special and oftentimes glorified trainwrecks. Admittedly they don’t have epic masterwork songs to work from and riff off of but that’s largely due to the fact that they aren’t capable of writing epic masterworks. Also if ‘our’ musicians were to swell the stage up to 12+ people it would be almost impossible for it not to sound like shit no matter what song book your reading from. So I agree with the core of your point that there is something different about not having anything to rely on but that’s about it. Let’s not forget that people like Metric’s James Shaw (and Emily) is a Julliard trained pianist, plays new wave guitar and also horns. Not only does our scene lack players of this depth and breadth of experience most lack any formal musical education. So what I am saying is that the wellspring that all of these people are drawing from, their melodic sense, is much better developed than the majority of our players. This is evidenced by the ease with which they can interact in large and even larger settings without precipitating a trainwreck- irregardless of a somewhat set framework. Again not to come down hard on the scene but the reason there is a stigma around ‘jam’ music is that this is seen as a rudimentary skill that all musicians are capable of. The idea of getting on stage and jamming to most musicians is as deplorable as a painter exhibiting a series of notebook sketches.

As to your point that I just want more ‘fashion’ in our scene well I don’t know that’s quite it. If ‘fashion’ means the kind of crowd that we saw at these shows definitely not. Having not been at a show like that for sometime in many ways it reaffirmed my faith in our culture. I am, as always, looking for a happy medium between indy poseurism and credibility, enthusiastic reception and blind allegiance. Sadly I think what is most telling is that we do have a far too narrow notion of what ‘jamming’ is and what the kind of bands we want to see are. It was glaringly clear to me that most people will not get the opportunity to see either of these bands because they’ve already made their mind up. Despite the apparent open mindedness of our culture we are incredibly closed minded to music that falls outside of the narrow margins of jam/funk/groove/trance. There is no point in denying it because while four people have bothered to read this thread elsewhere people are debating how many times Phish has played Limb by Limb or Wading In The Velvet Sea at concerts they’ve attended. Most people won’t open a thread like this because it doesn’t pertain to anything they’re interested in.

I would like to watch the rolling paper bum attempt- sounds funny. [smile]

"Most people won’t open a thread like this because it doesn’t pertain to anything they’re interested in" - I have to say, who cares! I didn't open the cereal thread because I dont like cereal- am I missing something?

As for your points about the BSS jamming and metric sitting in. I know the core of BSS is of 6, I'm pretty sure they were just playing the songs when other people were on stage and as I mentioned, riffing, (playing into the theme or vamping on it). I think that playing within the boundaries of what the song already is (or was commited to tape as) isn't jamming. sorry. I think that's playing along. The soundman travelling with the band knows who to keep prominant in the mix- i assure you.. you may notice that the two main guitar players- mustache man and bandana boy were the only guitars we were hearing most of the show. and most of the time they were playing the exact same thing..I liked metric's guitar player too- but he didnt strike me as a particularly interesting or tasty player at all. I dont really care about credentials or where he went to school though, i've met enough 'berkely trained' musicians through gigging to realize that has no impact on how i can enjoy a player of any instrument. Although sometimes its apparent the education worked to inspire major decidation- ie the Slip.

anyway, i'm not doubting the musical abilities of the bss or metric- They are obviously all full grown musicians, but if you are impressed by their 'jamming' then i think you like different things about jamming than i do.

sorry about the fashion comment earlier, that was silly. I think based on your new handsome poet look. [Wink]

Archived