Jambands.ca

Best Reggae Covers

kung

David Lindley & El Rayo X do some good covers, reggae style. They did "Bye Bye Love" on the first (self-titled) album, and a demented (up-tempo ska) version of "Werewolves Of London" on the "Very Greasy" album.

But, for the ultimate twisted reggae cover, go get Frank Zappa's "The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life" album (a double CD from the '88 tour), and listen to the last track on the second disk without looking at the track listings...you'll be, uh, surprised, I think...

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by bones:

going the other way, i think Burning Spear's version of Estimated Prophet is pretty cool
[Cool]

That's the song! I was trying to remember the name of the tune Burning Spear did on the "Deadicated" record (the only album I know of with both Jane's Addiction and Dwight Yoakum on it...), but it just wouldn't come to me. Luckily, I left it to the professionals...

Aloha,

Brad

That would probably be Toots Hibbert (Toots & the Maytalls) from the Toots in Memphis album. Great, classics Reggae soul artist. You have to hear Take me Home Country Roads. I've had this disc for years, enjoyable.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000003QJA/qid%3D1073517132/702-3207070-2828053

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

I'm listening to a great cover of Dreams To Remember (Otis Redding) not sure who's performing it (community radio).

Darker than Blue

Soul from Jamdown 1973 - 1980

-

01. The Boris Gardiner Happening featuring Leslie Butler - Ghetto Funk 3:09

02. The Chosen Few - Collie Stuff 2:52

03. Carl Bradney - Slipping Into Darkness 3:06

04. Ken Boothe - Is It Because I'm Black? 3:28

05. Freddie McGregor - Get Involved 3:34

06. Al Brown - Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City 3:26

07. In-Crowd - Mango Walk 3:22

08. Ken Boothe - Ain't No Sunshine 2:15

09. Milton Henry - Gypsy Woman 3:01

10. Junior Murvin - Give Me Your Love 2:07

11. John Holt - For The Love Of You 3:40

12. Alton Ellis - It's A Shame 2:48

13. Jimmy London - I'm Your Puppet 3:38

14. Delroy Wilson - Get Ready (12" mix) 5:40

15. Lloyd Charmers - Darker Than Blue 2:59

16. Tinga Stewart - Why Can't We Live Together? (extended) 7:00

17. The Tamlins - Baltimore 4:01

18. Welton Irie - Hotter Reggae Music 3:50

Jamaican reggae meets american soul. I got this for christmas, go pick this up it smokes!!!!

Archived