Jambands.ca

"Canada's University" gone to hell!

rabidmonkey

I don't know if any of you attend or have attended the University of Ottawa, but if so then I'm sure you will understand my frustration. The administration at the school has always been shit, but this year it's all gone to hell. I can't believe the lines at every admin office on campus, and still no one's doing anything. I have been going there for a long time and now I am almost finished. I need one more class to graduate, but the school will not let me take it. It seems the class was full at the start of the year and they told me to keep trying throughout the year to get in. No such luck, it's still full. I asked yesterday if they would be letting more people in the class and they mentioned that 18 students were added to the class since the start of the semester. I said, "what the fuck, I've been trying to get in for 6 months, why them and not me?" I was told that only students in that specific degree program can have exceptions made for them. I am a Gen. Arts student and have since found out that as an Arts student, there is no one to get my back. In any other degree program the school guarantees that they will let you into the course if it is necessary for you to graduate. This does not apply to me, or any other Arts student. So after all 6 years of school I cannot get into the last course, and because I am not the priority for the admin. it looks like I will not be able to ever take that last course as it will keep getting filled with "non-arts" students.

I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do at this point. Hell I don't know why I posted this anyway, I guess I need to bitch 'cuz I pissed off. I need a bowl....

cheers and thanks for listening

shane

Is there any way you could take an equivalent course somewhere else (e.g., Carleton, or via correspondence from somewhere like Queen's) and apply the credit to your degree?

Also, have you tried contacting the Arts student council? They might be able to help and/or act as an advocate for you.

Aloha,

Brad

Good suggestions brad, I tried Carleton and Queen's but they don't offer an equivalent course. I'm trying algonquin now but I don't think it will work out. The assistant dean of health sciences (the faculty that my course is in) is a friend of the family and she may be able to pull some strings for a summer course, but she is away on a sabatical right now. As for the arts student council I have not tried to get them involved yet but I will on Monday. I should have got hold of them earlier as it may be too late at this point in the year.

Have you tried McGill? You might even be able to take the course in person there and still live in Ottawa. (A friend of mine did the reverse one summer: he lived in Montreal, and commuted twice a week to take an evening course at Ottawa U.)

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

As an Ottawa U alumni (B.Sc.E.E. 99), I can honestly say that Ottawa U can suck my wang. The line-ups are nothing new at the admin offices, as I remember people camping overnight by the offices like it was Ticketmaster, just so they can register for the courses they need to advance their degree. Talk to any Carleton student, and they'll explain to you the state-of-the-art automated system they use for registering for courses.

I laughed for a good ten minutes when I first heard the "Canada's University" slogan that UofO is using right now.

Have you tried going to the prof who teaches the course? I'd go to him and explain everything and see if he could get you in there.. Also maybe the head of the department that that course is in. Or maybe talk to your program counsellor? Its their job to help you out.

Algonquin and McGill do not have an equivalent course. Too bad, I would have done the drive to MTL no problem. As for talking to the prof, I have tried that and her only concern is for the health science students she is only required to let them in if they are graduating, not me. As for the Head of the department, she is not the head of my department (Arts) and they say she can therefore do nothing for me. It's kind of a difficult situation because I have to do two group of courses (7 from each of two different programs) to get my arts degree. I originally choose music and communications. I have finished all my cmn courses and only needed two music. The problem came up that there were no classes that I could get into. It was suggested to me that I only need three leisure studies courses and I could graduate with my two groups as leisure and communication. I thought great, anything to get out. So I registered for two of three lsr courses being told that at some point my academic advisor would be able to get me into the third course. They couldn't do it because it was full and I wasn't a leisure student. Six months later and a lot of my time, the one and only lsr course that I can take and need but they won't let me in. [Confused]

Archived