Jambands.ca

Kung, I admit it...

Del

you were right about The Slip. Keep in mind I never said they were horrible musicians. Quite the opposite. I just found them to be a little slow. But after discovering tunes like December's Children, Song, Get Me With Fuji,,Sometimes True To Nothing, etc., I have found what people seem to be so into. Kung, I tip my hat in your direction, and humbly ask if you have any Slip shows for trade. A link to my list is at the bottom. I can't wait to see these guys at the Shaker. For reasons I won't bring up here, I missed them at CTMF, and, because I wasn't into them at the time, decided to pass on the Canadian Slip run. My bad. I fucked up real good. Anyways, I admit I was wrong to all the people I spent hours arguing with at shows and afterparties. The Slip are fantastic. One of the most promising bands I've heard in a long time.

I must say since I am high and rambling....when talking about the Slip....

....It's all about 74,The Woods & Get me with Fuji for me.

The Woods takes me away into a slideshow memories.I find the Slip has the amazing ability to do that to me.

Emotional music played with emotion.

Simply beautiful.

Currently playing d2 04.19.03

it was nice seeing keller at the OH, unfortunately he was billed with Charlie Hunter, who today still gets no respect, so back then, when Hunter was headlining, everyone went to see the Young Keller.

Unfortunately, only about 200 (if that) people showed up, and the promoters lost lots...

i dont think we'll be seeing keller up here again any time soon, even though he ripped the place up.

Steve

Yeah even my boss liked the album on our way back from the Hamilton airport via Thunder Bay. I'm not great as far as collected recordings go but I think I know their shit pretty well. I've got a list together of all the shit they've ever played in Canada against what they haven't. I can't imagine missing the Shaker so I was going to drop the 'as of yet not played' list on them in lieu of requests. They know what people want to hear after all it's all alot more and less calculated as it seems when it comes to setlists. They dropped the Alsoa on us in lieu of a Honey Melon or Rhythm and Gold at the last Montreal show. They know everyone wants to hear those ones and rarities like Eube, older stuff like You Might Say. I think the ultra bustout list, which I'm hoping for at the Shaker would be ones like: Steel Drum Zion, Lion on A Rock, Julia's Kitchen, 6 Sided, Earth Will Dissever, Ernie Mickie, Joe Higley, Man In The Mirror, Jumpin' Jack Flash and Baba O'Riley. I could see us getting a number of those (especially 'out here in the fields') amidst all the songs Brad wrote last week. Tonight We Leave Chicago would be sweet as of course would Children of December and all the standards. I was just going for songs they haven't played up here yet. Shit I left Rhythm and Gold off that list- that's what I want to hear and of course the Honey Melon which we are long overdue for. Please don't ask to hear your favourite song though at least tactlessly, or just don't ask for Honey Melon- they're gracious but spiteful fuckers especially that Friedman.

So far everyone I have introduced The Slip to has been thoroughly impressed. It sort of helps explain why anyone would drive hundreds of miles to see them. I've never driven as far or been as interested in any touring band, I had my grateful dead period like anyone but that was my introduction to improvisation, and since I wasn't listening to anything else like that at the time it made them stand out.

Alot of folks have said that the slip's music is "pure" and "emotional" which I can certainly agree with. My first impression when seeing them at Evolve was that they're music is "perfect". Every dimension of their music seems to be perfect, and the reason I'm so enamoured with everything they put out is because I never thought I would hear perfect music in my lifetime.

quote:

They know everyone wants to hear those ones and rarities like Eube

i don't know that a "spice groove" has ever been played (maybe evolve 1?) in canada.

E U B E ! i been wanting and waiting since i first heard this tune.

i have a dream>>>

Metroplatypus/The Social/Yoshimi (Fight Test) Jam > spice groove with a a side order of "stand by me".

good to hear you'll be headed out east with many others for the shaker kung. a slip fans presence is always welcomed.

So right about the Spice Groove can't believe I left that out. The Metroplatypus/Social/Fight Test I am obviously dying to hear but didn't want to get my hopes up. I was hoping they'd show the Jamhuggers a few things about why the Flaming Lips slay. Also Stevie Wonder's Uptight (Everything's Alright) is a cover they've done that I've always wanted to hear them do.

I really caution people on asking for their favourite songs as in my experience with them they've often been inspired NOT to play a song by a request (Eube is case in point). They always go into a 'secret' huddle before the shows and decide the bulk of the setlist but in my opinion there is some flexibility there. Obviously they lean towards whatever they feel like and that can mean a scattering of Brad's newer songs. If my perception is valid I would say that Marc has the most input in what songs are played, then Brad then Andrew. As things are being decided on stage Marc often acts like a pitcher shaking off plays that the catcher (say Brad) is throwing at him. For instance in Hamilton the decision to play Hallelujah, I gathered afterwards, came from Marc which surprised me as he can be a bit of a spoil sport. So don't piss off the Marc and make general comments about songs you like rather than 'can you play this song'. In the end they'll do whatever they like and hope you come along for the ride. But they know how to throw a dog a bone too.

I can appreciate it secondtube, but once again, for the record, I never hated The Slip. Last year I found myself dancing at shows a lot. Having missed all The Slip shows in this area last year, I never had the experince of seeing them in a live setting. Several of my friends suddenly went Slip-crazy (as I seem to have as of late). I asked them to play me some Slip, so I could see what the big deal was. 9 times out of 10 the song with the gorilla from CTMF was played for me. Great song, but far from where my head was in 2003 (high energy, dancable songs and grooves). The other 1 in 10 was usually a ballad, which for the same reason as mentioned before led me to believe that The Slip were a "slow" band. Near the end of last year, Kung played some very upbeat Slip for me at a nero afterparty. I liked it a lot, and so began my love of The Slip. I can now appreciate the slow stuff, as well as the crazy shit, but never once did I proclaim to hate The Slip. In fact I told Kung earlier that night that I thought The Slip were some of the best and tightest musicians I had heard in awhile. I still believe that, but just becuause you're not "into" something, doesn't mean that you hate it.

Currently playing:

The Slip - 1998-10-31 D2

Archived