Jambands.ca

The Ottawa sun, Pg 35

Phred

Well, since I can't seem to locate anything on the internet, and happen to have some free time I'll type it out for those of you who can't pick up a copy.

(Large article on other bands, blah, blah, blah)..... Finally, jazz fans may not see anything revolutionary in the idea of a "seamless set", but it's an anomoly in rock 'n' roll. The idea is for one band's set to gradually give way to another's, without a break in the music. Band members come and go during a smooth transition from opener to headliner to opener to headliner.

Tomorrow night, locals Ferriswheeler and Dr. Huxtable will stage a demonstration. "The majority of the hand-off will be spontanious," Ferriswheeler's Dave Rahmer says. "At a certain point, it will be a free-for-all of improvisation and experimentation." Sounds trippy. And worthy of a "jam band" like the Dead or Phish.

"To me, it doesn't really matter what you call it," Geoff Smith of Dr. Huxtable says of such terms, "as long as it doesn't hinder people coming out to the show."

A seamless set. Now there's something you won't find at Canadian Music Week.

Archived