Jambands.ca

Metallica follows suit

Chewie

(MUSIC-Metallica-Performance-Downloads)

See the Metallica show -- own it four days later.

Metallica has launched a Web site at LiveMetallica-dot-com where they will offer downloads of each performance of the North American leg of their tour.

The high-quality recordings will be made directly from the sound board.

They will be available within four days after the show.

The downloads sell for just under 10 bucks U-S for M-P-3's or for just under 13 dollars for higher-quality FLAC files.

Users can burn the shows to C-D, transfer them to portable players or play them through the computer.

Drummer Lars Ulrich calls this the next logical step from allowing tapers in the audience, which Metallica has permitted since 1991.

Metallica's tour kicked off last night in Phoenix.

-------

I kind of like all this new, 'purchasing the live show', after the show deals...

I believe if the band is offering live recording of their performances to their fans, it'll give incentive/force bands to play better live. Bands wont want crappy recordings of their shows floating around their fanbase, possibly creating a negative effect on their attendance.

For years a lot of bands have been known for sub par live performances. But if the majority of live bands adopt this principal, the overall quality of live music should improve.

I couldn't agree more, this is a great step to take for all bands. If I have to be a nit-picker I'd say they should can the offering of the MP3 format and retain the highest quality format that is generally accessible for most people.

Guest Low Roller

I would say that mp3s are generally more accessible for the general public, but the audiophiles clearly prefer non-lossy formats.

Let's just hope that this trend of selling your live shows continues, and that bands get more direct earnings from their music.

Archived