Jambands.ca

A (taper's) hardware idea

Tungsten Gruvsten

most music stores have em' - only about 8-10 bucks....i've got a couple here but the jaws don't extend reeeally wide. I've been thinking of getting the top off a mic stand and welding it to the butt end of those 1 handed vice grips - Quik Grips...

-

...i figure that would be usable anywhere.

The other alternative I made myself is those spring-loaded grips - super strong...drill a hole through the handle and bolt on a podium style gooseneck stand - those have mic threads on one end and bolt threads on the other...bingo bango sugar in the gas tank...

Hey! The EXACT clamp that Esau posted a picture of is available from Sherwood Systems(part of Sherwood music) in Kitchener for I believe $14.99 canadian a piece. No idea if Steve's in Ottawa would stock those, but I would have to guess that Sherwood could ship up to you. If not, I can try and help out as best I can, let me know.

I second what pete said! That clamp that Esau showed is one of the best bang for your buck.

You will find other clamps like those made for camera lighting and such, but they are rather expensive (I think >$100 for manfrotto's superclamp). The beauty of the clamp in the picture is that you can clamp both vertical and horizontal rails/pipes... which is a bonus, whether you want to clamp balcony railings, or another mic stand.

I (think I) came up with a neat idea last night (in bed, nearly asleep), but I'd like to run it by y'all and see what you think of it, and if you have any way of either helping bring it to fruition, or of pointing me to where it might already exist.

I've taped a few shows at Maverick's in Ottawa, and (IMO) the best place to tape from is a brick pillar about 12' in front of the dance floor. The face of the pillar has a shelf (about 6' up) with a TV on it, which gives you wall power, and it makes for a good place to locate gear: you put it under the shelf and it's hard to step on.

What I'd like to have is some sort of clamp that I can attach to the shelf, but which has the threaded attachment used for a microphone mount. This way, I can take a rather heavy microphone or a pair of heavy mics, clamp them up nice and high (which helps minimize crowd noise), and I don't have to worry about having a mic stand that has to be carried to/from the venue, and which can either fall over (due to the weight of the mics) or be bumped into by dancing patrons. (As a taper, I strive to interfere as little as possible with patrons' enjoyment of the show.) Also, with each mic being separate, they can be separated easily, and to a much wider distance than would be possible with a mic stand.

While it sounds like it'd be customized for Maverick's, I think it could be used elsewhere, assuming the geometry of the clamp was such that it could be attached to boards/shelves, posts, tables, balcony railings, etc.

Does anybody know if such a thing exists? I suppose a destop mic stand (inches high) could be used, but they're heavier than I want, and I'd still be worried about them getting yanked off the shelf; they'd also only be usable on high, flat surfaces.

If it doesn't exist, how hard would it be to make? I guess a prototype could be lashed up by getting a couple of threaded mounts and duct-taping (pop-riveting?) them to hardware store clamps, but I'm open to ideas.

Any thought you had would be appreciated.

Aloha,

Brad

Why is it I never remember to do for myself what I do for others?

A quick Google search for microphone clamp revealed, among others, this, which is just what I'm thinking of.

Unfortunately, US$20 per clamp is a little more than I was expecting to pay, but, if I'm going to dropping serious bucks on the mics, it's chumpchange, really...

(And note that I'm still interested in people's ideas.)

Aloha,

Brad

Archived