Jambands.ca

New Leafs...

Mr. Musicface

So Toronto did take that next step... to be sure they go nowhere in this year's playoffs, by acquiring PHIL HOUSLEY?!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's eternal laughing coming from Vancouver right now!!

Anyone that knows hockey knows that no-one can disappear in the playoffs quite like Phil Housley can... the guy's been consistent his whole career... a consistent liability to his team in past playoff hockey series'.

I'm liking the Sens moves to toughen up... and I fear for all of you with Philly's moves today.

We've got no easy row to hoe either with the additions to Detroit, Dallas, Colorado, and St. Louis... scary!!!

As for the Canucks minor yet quality move, all I can say is...

MAYDAY!!!! MAYDAY!!!!! MAYDAY!!!!!!!!!!

The parade goes down Georgia St. [Razz]

Are you for real?

How can the additions of Nolan, Wesley , and Gilmour not drastically improve an already good hockey club... Housley, when returned from injury will be such a help with the veteran leadership to the kids on the defense ... kaberle and Housley on the powerplay from the blue line with a second line of McCabe and Svehla is very sweet from where im lookin...

Ottawa did make a couple of nice moves... Smolinski by far being the best for em.. Ray aint gonna do anything cause he just isnt a play off hockey guy...

Vancouver aquired Brad May... thats it... im thinkin im a little afraid with Clouts and Skuds in net... but i could be wrong

Detroit got stronger on the Blue line with Schneider.

St Louis stronger in goal with Osgood.

Philly and Toronto is gonna be an all out war like last season with the Islanders... these playoffs are deffinately gonna be fun... wheres double B .. i know hes in for a wager here.. guess ill have to find him on the hub

pog... your reasoning may be flawed...

a team does not necessarily improve with panic-stricken deadline deals. don't get me wrong, i'll be forever envious of owen nolan (be he a leaf, shark, nordique, whatever), but more moves does not necessarily = better

by the way, cloutier is sitting at 31 wins, with 51 games and a GAA hovering around the top... no need for fear...especially with his calm, unflappable nature...as eddie the eagle would say, show me a calmer netminder and i'll give you a billion dollars

don't dis the brad may move... that is by far the classiest move of the day. the nucks were lookin' for a guy to pad the 3rd line, round them out a little and they went back to someone that left an impression on the organization, a guy who was proud to be returning to vancouver. brian burke brings a tear to my eye

i would, however, like to distance myself from the types who get shot with rubbber bullets following a stanley cup final loss.... [Razz]

Two things:

1. The Leafs definately improved. Yes Housley might suck, BUT he's there number 5 D man. He'll see 14-17 minutes a game, and less if there are no powerplays.

2. Nolan is great, nuff said. definately an upgrade.

3. Wesley is a bona fide top 4 D man, and will play steady in the number 4 spot.

4. Gilmour is a competitor. He will rack up a half point a game in the playoffs with 12-15 minutes of ice time. (personally I'd put him at centre on the second line and bump antorpov over and renberg off, but I don't think Quinn will).

I should also mention that Housley will not be a good influence on the young D. He will not be a good influence on anyone. He was the "leader" on chicago that took the substance abuse drunkard to the strip club remember... but for 12-15 a game he'll be fine...

As for Vancouver. yes they have a chance. But don't underestimate the coaching in the league. The playoffs are a whole new season and I'll bet there are a few scouts/coaches out there with a plan to shut down that top line. If that happens then the nucks are golfing...

My thoughts anyways...

and the wildcard in it all is whether or not Amonte clicks with Roenick again. That could be trouble...

I like the Canucks, but they always disappear in the playoffs, Keither. The Sedin twins will do nothing as usual come April. I hope the Canucks do well, but they haven't won anything ever, and they'll have to prove that they can to get any respect.

The Leafs added depth on defense, but Nolan was the real trade. Gilmour adds a 4th line and penalty-kill boost for sure, and Wesley will put Lumme in the press-box for good. That's good.

Ottawa did well yesterday. Smolinski should play on the first line, and Varada is a good playoff performer. Ray won't get off the bench in the playoffs, unless they play Toronto or NYI. Anyway, yesterday was interesting, BUT ANSON CARTER FOR RADEK DVORAK SUCKS HARD!! I hate that visor wearing floater.

LOL cds!!

Laugh fans are just too easy to target, that's all.

I'll stay away from those rubber bullet types as well... plus the smart fans that like to slide along the electrical wires above Robson St.!!

You've got Burke down... what an absolute gem of a GM. [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

I like the Canucks, but they always disappear in the playoffs.

they've been farther in the playoffs than any other canadian team in almost a decade.... apparently ALL canadian teams have the knack to vanish in the post-season

please pholks, never underestimate the Cooke/Letowski combo, or the Klatt/Lindgren/Langdon threesome... all of which have the 'clutch' goal capability....

Hey Mr. Musicface. I think the Carter deal was connected with the Niinimaa trade. By getting a floater like Dvorak, the Oilers had to add power up front; i.e., Isbister. The Oilers knew that the salaries of both these Niinimaa and Carter guys was going to be a problem with regards to keeping Brewer, Comrie, Smith etc... I like the Isbister and Raffie Torres deal because Isbister is a power-forward in waiting and Torres is a year away from really contributing. Torres is a keeper. Tough, can score and plays with a lot of energy. Oh yeah, he's only 20.

i wasn't saying toronto hasn't had a better playoff track record than vancouver (an arguement i wouldn't even try to get into)... i'm just saying that playoff success is measured by how far you make it down the line and Vancouver is the only Canadian team to have made it out of their conference in almost a decade....

captain kirk's toe save on reichel (was that who it was?) was simply amazing... next in line to that was "downtown" jeffrey brown's break-away pass to that bure kid for the winner... poetry on ice, baby!

It was Reichel all right... 3 on 0.

McLEAN!!!

How bout the 59 save performance in game 1 of the finals in NY... and the overtime winner by Greg Adams on the spin-around backhand pass by Cliffy Ronning.

Most memorable play in the '94 playoffs?

How bout that little rat Bure ending Shane Churla's hockey career with one of the cheapest hits ever... end to end flying elbow smash anyone?

Served him right for cross checking the cheapest Russian (except maybe for Kaspairaitis) into the boards from behind.

Most memorable moment from the '94 playoffs?

Gilmour scoring the offside game winner in game 1 of the Western Conference finals... and the Canucks winning the next 4 games to win the series FIVE games to none!!!

The last time the Laughs got a sniff!!

Just because I have to make Keither laugh...

There was an article in the paper yesturday or the day before that said that the Leafs actually have, it was either the most playoff games played in the past 5 years, or the most playoff rounds played in the last 5 years, in the league. The last 5 years being Quinn's term.

Admittedly, this means nothing without a cup. But if we're discussing Canadian teams playoff performance, then it would put the leafs on the top for the past 5 years..

quote:

i'm just saying that playoff success is measured by how far you make it down the line and Vancouver is the only Canadian team to have made it out of their conference in almost a decade....

[/QB]

1993 Montreal won the CUP.

I believe that is further down the line than either Vancouver or Toronto and does fall within the last decade. [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by dogatthestation:

Ahhh there ain't nothing like living in the past...

a talent learned at an early age for all Buds fans [big Grin]

is that "ahhhhh" as in what one might say when smelling the refreshing scent of new born puppies, or "ahhhhh!" as in what one might scream when realizing that it wasn't new born puppies at all, but evil, baby hell hounds or something...

i'd also like to point out the word almost for badams, as in "the habs almost have a chance at making the playoffs this year..." [Wink]

my playoff butterflies are tuining into killer bees... oh i see why, my prescription ran out! time for some happy pills!

quote:

Originally posted by dogatthestation:

Ahhh there ain't nothing like living in the past...

I agree and my past includes 2 Stanley Cup Championships that I remember VERY well.

Most on this board were likely not even born when Toronto won their last Cup, but how about those Harold Ballard years.

I will not bash Ottawa or Vancouver in this post as I will cheer for them to win the Cup as a Canadian team.

Yes Montreal is a shadow of their former selves and this year has been a big disappoinment.

Lets remember the last three times the Leafs made the Conference Finals, who they lost too.

1. Los Angelas

2. Vancouver

3. Carolina

all hockey powers(other than Vancouver this year)

who will the Leafs lose to this year TAMPA BAY?????

Archived