Jambands.ca

ok ready, set, go atter !

h

Spin names 50 greatest bands

By JAM! Music

Spin Magazine has named the 50 greatest bands of all time -- let the debating begin.

The Beatles were predictably named the best-ever ensemble, but just about everything after that will inspire heated argument.

"These groups had to have a roof-raising, history-changing sound, presence,

or hairstyle," Spin said in a press release.

"They also had to clearly influence today's music in undeniable ways. Finally, they had to be bands that spawned a special emotional attachment to their fans.

Some of the most controversial elements:

The Who ended up at #39, behind The Pretenders (#33), Blondie (#37) N.W.A. (#23), Pearl Jam (#26), and Metallica (#20).

Pavement ranked #30, ahead of The Beach Boys (#45), Pink Floyd (#49), David Bowie And The Spiders From Mars (#36), and Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five (#40).

Punk pioneers The Ramones placed just behind The Beatles and ahead of Led Zeppelin (#3), Bob Marley And The Wailers (#4), and Nirvana (#5).

The Velvet Underground (#11) were deemed to be more influential than Sly And The Family Stone (#12), but less important than the Beastie Boys (#10), The Clash (#7), and Parliament/Funkadelic (#6).

Radiohead (#15) and Run-DMC (#14) bested the Jimi Hendrix Experience (#16).

Teutonic techno innovators Kraftwerk (#24) topped anarchist proto-punks The Sex Pistols (#25), The Grateful Dead (#27), and REM (#28).

The editors said the list, which will appear in the magazine on Tuesday (Jan. 15), was undertaken to celebrate a recent resurgence in groups, with bands such as Staind, Linkin Park, Incubus, and System Of A Down making a comeback on charts that have lately been dominated by pop and dance acts.

Here is the full list:

1. THE BEATLES

2. RAMONES

3. LED ZEPPELIN

4. BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS

5. NIRVANA

6. PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC

7. THE CLASH

8. PUBLIC ENEMY

9. THE ROLLING STONES

10. BEASTIE BOYS

11. THE VELVET UNDERGROUND

12. SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE

13. U2

14. RUN-D.M.C.

15. RADIOHEAD

16. THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE

17. SONIC YOUTH

18. AC/DC

19. THE STOOGES

20. METALLICA

21. THE SMITHS

22. PATTI SMITH GROUP

23. N.W.A.

24. KRAFTWERK

25. THE SEX PISTOLS

26. PEARL JAM

27. GRATEFUL DEAD

28. R.E.M.

29. BLACK SABBATH

30. PAVEMENT

31. FUGAZI

32. KISS

33. PRETENDERS

34. RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

35. FELA KUTI & AFRIKA 70/EGYPT 80

36. DAVID BOWIE AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARS

37. BLONDIE

38. BAD BRAINS

39. THE WHO

40. GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE

41. NEW ORDER

42. HUSKER DU

43. GUNS N' ROSES

44. OUTKAST

45. THE BEACH BOYS

46. MASSIVE ATTACK

47. LYNYRD SKYNYRD

48. KORN

49. PINK FLOYD

50. RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS

I consider myself fairly music literate but who the hell is

35. FELA KUTI & AFRIKA 70/EGYPT 80

It's hard to pick on Spin who is trying sooo hard to represent "just outside the mainstream". They got their place in the rock 'n roll world just not on my coffee table. I think the last Spin I bought had a Beasties cover, no wait, it was Beck. BECK! WHERE IS YOUR NEW ALBUM???? I'm thinkin out loud again, aren't I?

Anyway, it's hard to argue that the Ramones overall have influenced more bands than the Dead. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just a fact. At best though, Dead should rank higher.

Coming to you live from rock'n roll high school,

scottieking

True Heather. When I saw it was SPIN magazine I was surprised to even see the Grateful Dead make the list.

But how could Hendrix not be higher then that based on the "had to have a roof-raising, history-changing sound, presence, or hairstyle" and "had to clearly influence today's music in undeniable ways.

We should try making a Phish Sanctuary list.

Why wasn't The Tea Party on this list?!! Where is Our Lady Peace?

As " popular " music of today goes, I don't hear the Dead in any of it. I was surprised to see them included on the list. I'm a lot miffed at the inclusion of Lynyrd Skynrd but not the Allman Brothers. If anything, Skynrd should be left off and replaced with the Allmans - they started it all and did it better than any southern rock band period. No Phish shouldn't surprise anyone. However, Neil Young should have made it - he influenced most of the big Seattle bands and his folk stuff had a great deal of impact on the Lilith Fair artists. Zappa doesn't belong on the list because his music WILL NEVER be popular, but he's in my Top 10 - which is a much more prestigious list than Spin's. Here's my 10 ( off the top of my head ): The Who, Allmans, Dead, Zappa, Hendrix; Miles Davis; Television; Neil Young; Stones, Beatles.

korn does not have the lasting impression deserved to be on a list like that...and fela kuti is an african musician. very influential across the pond and to many musicians in the states...

anyhoo, these lists do kinda suck, as they can't be objective, as there are too many factors to think of - especially with today's splintered music market.

Velvet gets bouche on a tangent

I go nutz when people say B.B. King is the greatest guitar player in the world.

Then you have guys like Tony D. hogging all the guitar fame in Ottawa. He may as well just start up a SRV cover band rather than pawn off Texas Flood as his 5 of his own tunes.

i was pretty happily surprised to see kraftwerk actually, -- i also have never heard of many of those names though, it's true... i totally agree about neil young, the allmans and perhaps deep purple, the doors? -- i wonder about genesis for sure i think they were very influencial... tea party and olp i believe were heavily influenced rather than influencable... in the neil young arguement, i believe that joni mitchell should also be represented then... what about the mod bands, the who ranked pretty low up there, how about the small faces? -- the faces had a lot to do with some 70s sounds...

ah... it's a long and twisted road.... there are just too many sets of musical styles and influences for this type of list. like there should be more heavy bands as they influenced many of the heavy bands in the 80s, or folk as they influenced a lot of the grunge sure - or techno, cuz of the dance rage now... or punk rock as that opened up a whole new world - crap go back to r&b who influenced everyone really... shall we bring mozart into the conversation?

but it sure is fun to bitch!