Jambands.ca

what makes an american

bradm

thats pretty interesting aboutthe kraft products being made by philip morris - i thought kraft was still independant with pilsbury...

ya, that's been pretty much my attitude - moderation on the big trip to the brockville walmart - i guess crappy tire is where i get my broom as opposed to the corner shop - does that count? it's canadian anyway... - you can actually ask mike how much i harp him to shop locally - he thinks i'm a little nutty about it i think

but its true that i still cant usually afford the bookstores that have to cross out the book price and affix their own sticker at $4 more though i just try to buy one book a year there...

actually i buy mostly everything second hand cuz i still think we are taxed too damn much.

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

I've bought stuff at Ikea [and at local stores like 7th Heaven Futons and Simply Wood] because they have the product I want at a reasononable price.)

For things like light bulbs, IKEA is actually cheaper than WalMart. Go figure. I'm not gonzo about IKEA furniture, though. It looks nice enough, but the durability of much if it is a bit questionable. That having been said, I got my son's dresser there because it was the only one I could find with the drawer frames bolted onto the rails (so they can't be pulled out). The quality was fine for the purpose.

Maybe I'm just hard on shelves.

My son's bed came from Simply Wood. It's the most durable piece of furniture we own. Still need to get a headboard for it, though.

quote:

if you don't want to buy stuff at Wal-Mart or Ikea, where do you go?

*gurgle* Lee Valley Tools *drool* Very cool, if you're into that sort of thing.

MEC. Ditto.

Mind you, this doesn't help with housewares. For those, yeah, I pretty much do the WalMart thing, mostly because I live next door to one. Produce, I usually buy at a fruit and veg store. Frozen stuff ... Loblaws. I buy a few things from Rainbow Foods as well. I venture into Loeb for bread, milk and eggs.

Guess I'm just unambitious in my purchasing habits. Okay, except for the ball gowns.

OBNOXIOUS+IGNORANT+LOUD+MEDIA WHORE'S+WASTING MONEY+WALL MART+HOME DEPOT+IKEA

ALL THESE GAINT CORP. THAT HAVE MOVED INTO CANADA SLOWLY TRYING TO TURN IT INTO THE USA I HATE ALL THESE GAINT STORES AND WOULD BE COUGHT DEAD IN ONE. MYBE ONE DAY ALL OF CANADA WILL BE JUST LIKE MIDDLE AMERICA WE CAN ALL SHOP AT WAL MART TO LOOK THE SAME, GO TO IKEA SO INSIDE ALL ARE HOMES ARE THE SAME, BUILD ALL ARE HOMES FROM HOME DEPOT I HATE THIS SHIT.

IKEA IS EVERYTHING THAT IS WORNG IN THE WORLD TODAY

Phillip Morris is just one example... the lists are endless. One is never truly aware of who they're supporting unless you are willing to do some major research before any purchase...

Like I said earlier. Globalization. There is a Coke Canada and Labbatt does make Bud and there are countless other 'imports' that are made in Cnada. Outsourcing. The corporate head office and the processing plant are, nowadays, no longer side by side.

We can all do some good and support local business (e.g. Yarker's Lucky Dollar and Old Bank Cafe, which both kick ass over the likes of Blockbuster/WalMart/Denny's) and Canadian jobs. Those fools in the blue Wal-Mart vests aren't imported from the States you know....

An idea....instead of boycotting Big International conglomorates such as Walmart, Esso, Blockbuster, etc etc..to name a couple....why not encourage them to change their business practices......encourage them to use more environmental and energy saving products in the building of thier stores as well as to research and promote more ecologically, sociologicaly and ethically products to sell to the public. And when they do these things, congratulate them and show your support by encouraging them to do more.....

Go into their stores, ask questions regarding their products with respect to how they are produced, where and by whom? Make suggestions to them to carry more socially responsible products, write emails, take action.

Like the old saying......you catch more bees with honey.